Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
microphobik

What would you do about leaves so big they are touching soil.

Microphobik
11 years ago

Hi,

This is my first year growing anything and I've become a bit obsessed with growing Heirloom tomatoes. I started with 3 seedlings from a local nursery and I'm now up to 30 plants and growing :-)

I'm in New Zealand so we are just coming into the peak of summer and things are going well. Fruit is almost ready on my first seedlings, the second batch of plants I got is already more than 6 feet high (only two months since transplant), and my youngest plants (two months since sowing the seeds) are looking incredibly healthy. About 18 different varieties, mostly Heirlooms. I have been giving them a steady dose of comfrey tea and it seems to be working.

Question though about my youngest plants...

I pruned to between 6 - 12 inches above the soil line but the leaves are so long (I'd say at least a foot and a half) that they are starting to touch the soil, which I understand is a big no-no. With that said, if I prune these bottom leaves I will be robbing the plant of all that photosynthesis, and the plants are starting to blossom already and I didn't know if that would be smart.

These plants are still young, some are actually shorter than the leaves are long. If I prune the bottom leaves there will be hardly anything left to support the new blossoms and I imagine it might stress the plants a bit.

What would you guys do? Prune off those leaves, create something to keep them off the ground, or just leave them be?

I have mulch down so they aren't getting too much soil contact, but I'm sure watering is pushing some soil up to the surface here and there.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting