Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

Largest number of container tomatoes

bragu_DSM 5
9 years ago

What is the largest number of tomatoes in containers you have raised, or have found that you can care for?

dave

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

In the same season? Approx. 30. 24-25 is normal # of plants if I don't push the limits on some of the containers I have. That's with using automated drip irrigation set-ups and fertigation. Without those I'd have to cut back on the number of plants in containers.

Dave

• containerted
    9 years ago

I did 116 in 2009 when I could only raise tomatoes in containers. Now, I have a large in-ground garden and only grow about 15-25 each year up here next to the house.

Ted

• fireduck
    9 years ago

dig said it all....it depends how you are set up. Containers bought and in place? Automatic watering system or hose in place? Support system there...built from last year? I suggest not killing yourself with too many until you get dialed in. Perhaps 5-10 plants??? That might be a good number to start. Bush varieties/determinates are easier.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Like Ted said, You can plant as many as you need and can take care. Container planting is more challenging than in ground. You have to use good potting soil which carries extra cost as compared to in garden. Plus, It requires a lot more watering and fertilizing, UNLESS you have an automatic system set up.

Last year I had 4 in containers. This year I might double that as I have seeds for dwarfs and Determinants. I personally wouldn't grow any indets in containers.

Seysonn

• grow_life
    9 years ago

I'm planning on 50 - 60 heirlooms in 25 gallon pots with automatic drip irrigation.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Wow! 50-60 25 gallon containers? That makes for some expensive tomatoes when it comes to buying good soil-less potting mix to fill all those! Good luck.

Dave

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Let us take the lower estimate here.
    With 50 container filled with about 20 gallons each it will be 1000 gallons of potting soil. Ready made commercial potting soils cost upward of one Dollar per gallon.

That is why I make my own mix that costs me about $0.35 -0.45 per gallons. Last year I make about 10 cu-ft. which i am going to reuse them by some refreshing.

Another point is that a tomato plant can live with half that much soil. ie. 12 gallons happily.

Seysonn

• grow_life
    9 years ago

Not all of my planned containers will be 25 gal., just for the bigger varieties. Some of them will prob. be more like 10-15 gal. I work in tree care/ landscaping and I have 5 or 6 truckloads of compost/ potting soil mix that was destined for landfill I got for nothing. I have access to as many free nursery pots of most any size. If I didn't have all the free materials, fuhgeddaboudit. I'm going containers this year because I need to rotate nightshades out of the garden for a season or two and I don't have other ground to grow them in.