Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Better tasting yellow pear?

Posted by BioTomato 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 12 at 17:09

Are there any tomatoes that retain the shape, color, and productivity but taste better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Better tasting yellow pear?

AFAIK, no. Given the thousands of wonderful tomato varieties out there, yellow pear is WAY down the list. Even if one is only interested in cherry-types, yellow pear is WAY down the list of cherry tomatoes.

Dave

o

If you are just looking for one that shape and color 'Yellow Submarine' is better tasting than standard 'yellow pear'.

It did not seem to get the mealiness that Yellow Pear often has.

o

Yellow Submarine is a decent flavored yellow pear shaped tomato, but IMO, really good flavored yellow tomatoes are few and far between.

One of those really odd things I would like to do is to cross Yellow Pear with Ildi and segregate out a multiflora Yellow Pear. Then cross that with Reisetomate and get a thing that looks like a clump of yellow light bulbs.

DarJones

o

LOL, and that would be three DarJones!

o

ildi
fantastic taste, high yield

o

Another one to consider is Medovaya Kaplya. Almost pear shaped but elongated so that the fruits look like wee purses tied at the top. And the taste is pretty darn good.

It's indeterminate and PL ( potato leaved) to boot. I like PL varieties.

Link to Tania's tomato base below and already a couple of places are listing it for 2012 and I think Gleckler's will do so as well, and perhaps others.

Not all seed websites have yet been updated and not all 2012 Catlaogs yet received so Tatiana can't update 2012 seed sources until that happens.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Medovaya Kaplya

o
Better tasting yellow pear?

get a thing that looks like a clump of yellow light bulbs...
Yes, I consider growing Yellow Pear cult a waste of garden space, unless grown for reasons that may satisfy some nostalgic memories. Now, except for those vended for purposes of ornamentation, where are yellow incandescent light bulbs being offered nowadays ?
Reggie

o

SSE catalog says Beam's Yellow Pear won out over 24 other Yellow Pear varieties when they did a comparison in 1998. They may have been rating other qualities besides taste, although they say it has great flavor. That's just what I read; haven't tried it yet.

o

I grew Medovaya Kaplya this past summer with outstanding results. Large, healthy plant that was the last to die (out of 18 other varieties). Looks just like yellow pear, at least close enough for the novelty factor.
The biggest surprise was the flavor. Absolutely outstanding! The yields was also fantastic. This will definitely be a mainstay in my future plantings (Along side my Brandy Sweets, Those were pretty good too).
I cannot find any faults with these tomatoes and I am absolutely positive that they will replace Yellow Pear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here