Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerald51

Which 10 Should I Grow?

gerald51
15 years ago

Hi, I'm new here, but I've done alot of reading at this site and find it very informative and helpful. Thank You!

I'm trying to come up with a list of tomatoes to grow for this coming season and I only have enough space for 10 plants. I only get direct sunlight in my planting area from 10am-3pm thanks to my neighbor's tall trees on the east and west side of me.

I was making plans to move so I could have a nice large sunny garden spot, but the housing market dropped like a rock, so it looks like I will be here for a while longer.

I prefer tomatoes that lean a little more to the acid tasting side than the sweet side.

I've grown Brandywine, not sure which one, because a girl at the Farmers Market gave me a handful of tomatoes and told me to over look the the ugly, because they will be the best tomatoes that I will ever put into my mouth.

I saved some seed from them and have been growing them for 2 years now. The vines are PL and the tomatoes are pink.

So far she is right about Brandywine being the best tomato that I've ever tasted, well except for the one that my grandparents grew back when I was a young buck that I can not find out its name for the life of me. Oh, it was so good between a biscuit. It was so old time good tasting with just enough acid bite to it.

Of the the following list that I'm considering, I've grown Brandywine and Carbon. Everyone thinks that Carbon is the best of them, but I just think that it's a little too close to the sweet side, but not so close to make me dislike it. Besides it doesn't keep well at all!

Brandywine

Big Beef

Carbon

Super Sioux

Mortgage Lifter

Cerole

Chrokee Purple (Just to see what all the talk is about)

Boxcar Willie

BTW, where is a good dependable place to purchase these at reasonable price with a low shipping cost? It going to cost a fortune to try out so many different tomato varieties, before finding the ones that I like the most.

Gerald51

Comments (36)

• simmran1
    15 years ago

Gerald, you only listed eight, so add 2 early ones.
    But anyway for your list I'd probably suggest Skyfire. Their $1.75 per pack. I didn't see Big Beef as I just did a quick search. Link below.
    If that's not good look around on this forum for Tatiana's D-base. Only 25¢ more per pack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skyfire

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Gerald,
    If you love your Brandywine and would like a tomato like it with little more acid bite to it, I would suggest Stump of the World. It is my favorite, and I think it is the type of flavor you are looking for.
    I believe everything on your list(and Stump of the World : )) can be found at Tomato Grower's Supply Co.
    Remy

• elkwc
    15 years ago

Chapman is another reliable tomato with great taste. Skyfire is a very good place to buy seeds. And if you can't find a few send me a pm. I have many of those on you list and can send you a few seeds. I do have Big Beef also I think. Jay

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Brandywine
    Big Beef
    Carbon
    Super Sioux
    Mortgage Lifter
    Cerole ( should be Creole, as I'm sure you know: ( smile))
    Chrokee Purple (Just to see what all the talk is about)
    Boxcar Willie

While I didn't check my new Sandhill Presrvation catalog I'm pretty sure that they list all on your list except for Big Beef, which is a hybrid. Tomato Growers Supply would have that as well as several other companies.

What I don't know is if any of the ones on the list were crop failures at Sandhill. The new catalog is out in the other room and I must confess that I'm too lazy to go get it, or to go to the website to check. ( smile)

Carolyn

• geeboss
    15 years ago

How many plants of each type of tomato will you grow. 1 of each 2 of each 3 of each? Your matters will be lining your counter in the summer.....just need to get past the next 3 months without buying more seeds now that all the catalogs are coming along with more cold windy days... my little seedlings are starting to pop up and will want to go outside and play in the wind and the rain....must resists.

George

• gerald51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check them all out.

I will only be planting one of each variety, because of limited space. I'm thinking about transplanting a couple of my wife's hydrangeas to a less sunny spot to gain more tomato growing space. Besides tomatoes look alot better around the deck anyway. (smile)

I've been thinking about putting "Stump of the World" on my to grow list from all the things that I read about it.

I guess that I do need a early variety on my to grow list. I have tried Stupica, but I thought that it was a little bland tasting, but it did produced the best tart tasting green tomatoes that I've ever fried. YUMMY!

Any suggestions on a early variety?

Sioux or Super Sioux? I've just read that Sioux had a more acid "tasting" bite than SS.

Creole huh? (smile) Should I try it?

BTW, the tomato varieties on my to grow list are not set in stone yet and are only there from mostly reading about them. So if there are better varieties that would suit my needs better, please let me know.

Gerald

• tom8olvr
    15 years ago

You won't be sorry with your Cherokee Purple to find out what
    all the fuss is about! :)

One that I would suggest to get you to your 10 would be Indian
    Stripe (if you can't find it I may have a few left - leave
    your e mail).

Check out Trudi's site - she'll send you 6 varieties for a SASE...

have fun!

• gerald51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Isn't Indian Stripe kind of like CP, but better?

• geeboss
    15 years ago

Gerald51
    If you run out of space around your deck you might want to build an Earthtainer II by Raybo its a self watering container. For that 1 more Tomato you'll want to try. :)
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg071811439081.html

http://www.tomatofest.com/pdfs/EarthTainer-Construction-Guide.pdf

Bingster's crop
    {{gwi:851}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthtainer

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nod, Tom8olvr.

Here is a link that might be useful: I have an OP seed bank--OP, in this case, is Open to the Public ;-)

• joy_unspeakable
    15 years ago

If you are only wanting to grow one or a few of each variety, I second checking trudi's site. I found her on the seed exchange forum (which I think will become my new addiction). I think her site is WinterSown. You send postage and she'll send 6 varieties of tomatoes - and she's so generous, she throws in a few extras. Each seed packet will contain enough seeds to try out that type.

Can't give much input on which ones to try. Like you, I'm giving Cherokee Purple a try because it gets such rave reviews. Best of luck.

• gerald51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trudi, you read my mind. I was just going ask for the link. Thanks! At first glance I've picked Cherokee Purple, Super Sioux, Beefsteak and Homestead, but that can change a dozen times before I make up my mind. Now I need even MORE help picking!

Like I said, I can only plant about dozen, but I start about 3 or 4 trays of seedlings to give away to friends. They sure like getting them too!!

Gerald

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

I was in southwest Tennessee, a few miles from both Mephis and the MS border several years back--it's beautiful, memorable country with mountains, brooks and lovely horse farms. I used to live in the Upper Catskils of NY and there were many similiarties in the beauty; we had brutally cold winters and brilliant summer days that turned chilly as soon as the sun set over the ridge.

I've got three tomatoes on the list with Tenn. in their name; to add some variety to your list maybe Tenn. Green or blushed and golden Tenn. Surprise would make nice additions--if only to show your home state pride ;-) A GWR (greeen when ripe) tomato is always unusual and very tasty, or maybe a yellow cherry like Isis Candy or Blondkupfchen, or something with really insane production like the Orange Banana paste.

I sometimes get a request in a SASE that the requester is new to tomatoes and unsure of what to choose or they are simply overwhelmed by all the choices, and so I am asked to choose for them. When I do this I first look at the zipcode to choose vareites that will mature before the first frost hits the garden, but also regional names are important. As an example, anyone who lived in Albany would certainly get 'New Yorker', lol. I try to always put in a few traditionally reliable, round and red types, then something small-fruited, then something with a descriptive and colorful name like 'Orange Oxheart', 'Tiger-Like' or 'Red Pear'.

Growing tomatoes from seed can be a heck of a lot of fun--the WinterSown.Org list takes away the financial burden for a beginner--which, in turn, removes a lot of the stress. The first year you grow toms from seed is an adventure--you get to learn about tomato plant care, but you also learn that we are all so very human too. Mistakes can happen but it's not a big deal because it's a learning event and each season afterwards will be more and more succesful because you know a little bit more every year ;-)

T

• gerald51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trudi, thanks for all the info. I know for sure that I'm going to request Cherokee Purple and Super Sioux from your list. Maybe, TN Britches. (smile) I already have Brandywine, Big Beef, and Carbon, but I've been convinced by others from all my reading on this site that I should plant Stump of the World, Boxcar Willie and Mortgage Lifter.

I got to make up my mind to whatI'm going to plant this year, because it's just few weeks before I need to start my seeds.

Gerald

• trudi_d
    15 years ago

I was in southwest Tennessee, a few miles from both Mephis and the MS border several years back--it's beautiful, memorable country with mountains, brooks and lovely horse farms. I used to live in the Upper Catskils of NY and there were many similiarties in the beauty; we had brutally cold winters and brilliant summer days that turned chilly as soon as the sun set over the ridge.

I've got three tomatoes on the list with Tenn. in their name; to add some variety to your list maybe Tenn. Green or blushed and golden Tenn. Surprise would make nice additions--if only to show your home state pride ;-) A GWR (greeen when ripe) tomato is always unusual and very tasty, or maybe a yellow cherry like Isis Candy or Blondkupfchen, or something with really insane production like the Orange Banana paste.

I sometimes get a request in a SASE that the requester is new to tomatoes and unsure of what to choose or they are simply overwhelmed by all the choices, and so I am asked to choose for them. When I do this I first look at the zipcode to choose vareites that will mature before the first frost hits the garden, but also regional names are important. As an example, anyone who lived in Albany would certainly get 'New Yorker', lol. I try to always put in a few traditionally reliable, round and red types, then something small-fruited, then something with a descriptive and colorful name like 'Orange Oxheart', 'Tiger-Like' or 'Red Pear'.

Growing tomatoes from seed can be a heck of a lot of fun--the WinterSown.Org list takes away the financial burden for a beginner--which, in turn, removes a lot of the stress. The first year you grow toms from seed is an adventure--you get to learn about tomato plant care, but you also learn that we are all so very human too. Mistakes can happen but it's not a big deal because it's a learning event and each season afterwards will be more and more succesful because you know a little bit more every year ;-)

T

• pastor_steve
    15 years ago

I've decided to go forward with ten this year myself. For what its worth, here they are:

Brandywind (Suddeth's), German Pink, Wisconsin 55, Black Krim, Kellogg's Breakfast, Stupice, Mortgage Lifter, Cherokee Purple, Amish Paste, and Brandy Boy.

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

Isn't Indian Stripe kind of like CP, but better?

Indian Stripe is a variety I introduced and I consider it a "version" of CP.

There are several threads here at GW where the history of this variety has been discussed so I won't repeat what's already been written. ( smile)

And yes, many folks do seem to like IS better than CP these days and that too has been discussed in quite a few threads here at GW and elsewhere.

Carolyn

• autumngal
    15 years ago

Gerald,

I would also say that where you are living makes a huge difference in what tomatoes you plant. I live in Albany, NY (have yet to plant New Yorker, but might now!) and I find only in hot hot summers do I get the right flavor for certain varieties like Paul Robeson, which is a great tomato if you live in hot, but not so much if you live in cooler climites. Anyway, my top 10 list for my area are:

Cherokee Purple (the hype is true! it's my favorite)
    Mortgage Lifter- best biggest producer
    Kellogg's Breakfast- a late tomato but really kicks in when the others peter out
    Bloody Butcher- my best tasting early- looks like there was some debate as to seed quality, but for me, this peters out soon into the season. I actually tandem plant it and pull it out at the end of July.
    Sungold- it's a cherry but so good.
    Eva Purple Ball- just a sublime tomato
    Green Zebra- it's delicious and green!

Hmm, that's only 7- I wouldn't put the lower two on the must have, but they are great-
    for blacs, I've never tried carbon, but I really like black from Tula and Japanese Black Triefle

I'll have to look over my list and see if there are any must haves I've forgotten!

Good luck and I vote for moving the hydrengas :)

• heyitzbenny
    15 years ago

I would definitely suggest yellow pear cherry tomato. Trudi has it on her list. And I'm pretty sure the description is something along the lines of "favorite amongst children." Its so true too. So true that not only do children love them, adults too! Now here's a true story.

I came home from school one day and my mother came home shortly after. She came running to me all giddy and smiling so I asked what happened. She opened her hands and showed me these tiny yellow cherry tomatos and told me to try them. Her friends and coworkers were giving them out and she said she just had to save one for me (its quite known in my family that im a gardening fanatic). next she took one and said lets save this for seeds because "they are just so cute." this coming from the woman who tells me to stop turning the backyard into a tomato jungle every year. ha!

so that tomato has been sitting on top of my fridge, waiting to have its seeds extracted. its been there for about 6 months. i just looked at it last week. it looks the same as it did when she brought it home all giddy 6 months ago. kinda scary cus i expected it to be rotten or something.

• gerald51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All of you have been so very helpful. Thank you so much!

Well, my order is in the mail today to Sand Hill for Box Car Willie, Creole, Sioux, Marianna Peace, Stump of the World and Mortgage Lifter.

Also got my request in from Trudi's free seed list for Cherokee Purple, Super Sioux, Homestead, Liz Birt, Beefsteak and Mortgage Lifter.

I already have Carbon, Brandywine (Pink PL),Big Beef, and Brandy Boy that I'm thinking about growing this year. I've grown all of those except Big Beef.

I took another hard look at sunny spots in my yard to see if I can squeeze in a couple more tomato plants to grow. I think that I can possibly have a total of 12 plants.

Let's see, I have 16 picked to grow and still need a good early tomato. I've tried Stupica, but I think it taste flat. I wonder if Eary Girl would be any better?

Oh, and I really want to find some Sungold seeds to grow to see why it's so well liked.

It's apparent that some of these tomatoes are not going to make the team this year, because of lack of grow space. Now I have to decide which one's to cut.

I will probably start all of them and give the seedlings away that I can't plant to friends. I really like starting seeds alot!!

I got tomato fever really bad.

Gerald

• tom8olvr
    15 years ago

I'd avoid Early Girl... If you thought Stupice tasted 'flat'...

I don't think Trudi could have said it any better:
    **The first year you grow toms from seed is an adventure--you get to learn about tomato plant care, but you also learn that we are all so very human too. Mistakes can happen but it's not a big deal because it's a learning event and each season afterwards will be more and more succesful because you know a little bit more every year ;-)**

I find I learn something new every year about gardening - if I'm open to it! :)

• joy_unspeakable
    15 years ago

Just my opinion - but Early Girl would be a waste of valuable space. It did produce early for me last year and was pretty productive - but not tasty at all!

• gerald51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I realize that "early tomatoes" are going to taste flat mainly because of the cooler temperatures when they are grown. However, they also taste flat during the rest of the year during ideal growing conditions. I wouldn't mind them tasting flat so much early on if that got better when the temperature warmed to ideal.

What is a good early tomato?

• fusion_power
    15 years ago

Bloody Butcher is a good early variety as is Kimberly.

Where is Druzba and Eva Purple Ball? Let me guess, you didn't know they were better than about half of your list.

DarJones

• azruss
    15 years ago

For an excellent early tomato, it's tough to beat Stupice. This wonderful variety will give you world-class flavor very early, and then produce for you until your first hard freeze takes it out. I second DarJones' recommendation of Eva Purple Ball (which is a mid-season variety actually), and I agree totally with joy_unspeakable that Early Girl is a waste of garden space--a real spitter IMO. Stupice (in particular), Bloody Butcher, Kimberly and Matina--all early--beat Early Girl handily. I've also heard and read that Moskovich is a good early variety, but I have not tasted it.

• gerald51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I second DarJones' recommendation of Eva Purple Ball

That sounds like a really good one, which tomato variety on my list to try out needs to hit the road to make room for Eva Purple Ball?

How would you describe the taste? I favor a taste just a little more to the acid tasting side than sweet.

Gerald

• cabrita
    15 years ago

This is my list based on some experience and what I have been reading in this forum, plus what seeds I have been able to gather. I will try sprouting all on this list, and will plant from whatever sprouts grow. Seeds are from trading, saving them and buying some (I bought the Cherokee green and the Kellog's breakfast from Victory seeds)

Stupice (for early purposes I tried it before and it is good and prolific)
    Druzba
    Neves Azorean Red (Yea! two out of two sprouted already, I hear it is very good)
    Carbon
    Omar Lebanese
    Stump of the world
    Cherokee Green (two out of two sprouted!)
    Kellogg's breakfast (this is probably my favorite tomato of the ones I tried)
    Mango
    Creole (it does not want to sprout so far, oh well...)
    Giant Syrian
    Mexico
    Noir de Crimee (Similar to Black Krim which was VERY good)

A couple from seeds saved from store bought tomatoes that were good (amazing), no idea what they are called, they came in clusters with the vine attached and probably were grown hydroponically?.

Probably volunteers from hybrid (Campari) that keep coming up, like right now in the dead of winter. Still getting toms from some of the existing vines too and they are not half bad....

oops, that was more than 10, but not all varieties will sprout.

• gponder
    15 years ago

The only decent Early Girl I've eaten was grown using dry land farming techniques.
    My vote goes to #1 Stupice, #2 Matina, #3 Bloody Butcher.

Good Luck!

• pastor_steve
    15 years ago

I'm far from an expert, and the fact that I planted four Early Girl's (they had a sale at Lowes) in some extra space in the garden kinda' shows it. They produced alright, but couldn't compare in taste to the others.

• autumngal
    15 years ago

I have a huge vote in for Bloody Butcher, it's a great tomato in its own right and its so early it beat out my cherry tomatoes in setting fruit. Mortgage Lifter, while not considered an early sets and ripens fruit very quickly for such a large tomato. I'm not a fan of stupice. I've found it early but lacking flavor.

In my garden, Bloody Butcher really stops producing when it gets hot (unless it is a cool summer then it keeps going) so, in my smaller garden, I've taken to planting it close to a late producer- like Kellogg's Breakfast, and then just pulling it out mid to late July. If you have a small garden, it's a great way to go. We moved to a house with a larger yard this year so my garden is going to be much bigger but I'm planning on doing the same.

FYI- Marianna's Peace is a nice tomato but it takes forever to ripen and has a very low production (only two tomatoes on my plant and I couldn't pick them until right before the frost!). I did save seeds and will try again with my larger yard, but I don't know if she would have made it in my smaller garden again.

Eva Purple Ball is one of my very favorite tomatoes. It definitly beats out Box Car Willie.

• gerald51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eva Purple Ball is one of my very favorite tomatoes.

It's being to sound like I should have ordered Eva Purple Ball.

Hate to hear that MP is slow to produce.

I've tried Stupica and was very disappointed with the lack of favor. Come to think about it, all my tomatoes tasted a little watered down last year.

I'm going to try something different this year. I'm going to compost super heavy and cut back on watering BIG time.

Years ago, my grandparents never watered their garden and they had some really great tasting tomatoes.

Maybe we are pampering our tomatoes way too much nowadays.

• danincv
    15 years ago

A good early for me last year was Matina. It also produces a huge crop all season long. Ten days after Matina the first full size tomato to ripen for me was Danko, about 3/4 lb with excellent flavor.

• lemonwater
    15 years ago

Gerald,
    I had quite the opposite problem with Marianna's Peace last year when I tried it for the first time. For me it was a VERY productive plant, and very vigorous. I counted over 22 tomatoes on just one of my plants at the beginning of the season (it had more later, I just didn't bother to count). This plant was also not in perfect soil, and was in part shade. I didn't feel it was slow to produce at all, but then again I do have a longer growing season :)

It's one of my favorite tomatoes I've tried so far, I really hope it works out for you.

• gerald51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's one of my favorite tomatoes I've tried so far, I really hope it works out for you.

Yeah, I'm really excited about trying out some new varieties. Like I said earlier, I will probaby start more seedlings than I can plant in my mostly shaded yard and will give the rest away to friends. Hopefully, I can get to sample some of their tomatoes to see how I like them.

The problem is, I'm trying to figure out which ones to plant in my yard.

Gerald

• chalstonsc
    15 years ago

Gerald,
    Sounds like you have a decision or two to make about which ones get your garden space...have you thought about using a container or two to minimize the tomatoes you have to cut?

• gerald51
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds like you have a decision or two to make about which ones get your garden space...have you thought about using a container or two to minimize the tomatoes you have to cut?

I'm counting containers and transplanted some of my wife's hydrangeas away the deck. The problem that I have is the lack of sunshine, not space.

My wife is not a big fan of tomatoes or me for encircling the deck with tomato plants.

I don't need that many tomatoes, I just want to grow a bunch to see which ones that I like best. I give most of them away to neighbors and friends, because I can't eat all that I grow.

Gerald

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz