Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlott

Need seed source

greenlott
11 years ago

I am looking for Estler's Mortgage Lifter seed for this year's crop and am not having any luck. Anyone know where I can order?
Am also looking for a good red cherry tomato for hot and humid conditions. I have tried Sweet Million and Super Sweet 100 and have not been pleased with them. Any suggestions?

Comments (23)

• skeip
    11 years ago

I do not like Cherry Tomatoes, and two years ago and elderly friend gave me some seeds to a cherry tomato that her mother had grown since she was a child. I said I would give them a try, and they sure did change my mind! The fruits are larger, .75" - 1.25" diameter, great tomato flavor and talk about prolific!! The vines were over 10' long, and loaded with fruit. The temps here this summer were triple digits and 90's for a record number of days, sure felt like the MS delta!! I will definatly grow them again. If you contact me through my page I will be happy to send send you some seed.

Steve

• cbadcali
    11 years ago

Hi. How many Estlers would you need? Mary

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Heritage Harvest Seed in Canada is the only seed source that Tatiana's Tomato Base lists for this year.

Also check the Tomato seed Exchange forum here.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Heritage harvest Seed

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    11 years ago

I think Heritage Harvest will only ship to Canada due to new US import restrictions; I tried looking there for Estler's ML seed this spring. Yeah, I really don't know what's up with nobody carrying them. Thank goodness for a nice guy I got to know via this site or I'd not have any either. These are the only tomatoes I am going to grow this year - specifically to try to get as many seeds saved as I can. Dar Jones from www.selectedplants.com hasn't listed his 2013 plant list yet but I hope he will have some to offer; you might check with him in a few weeks and see. I know it's more fun to start your own but that might be the only option for this year for Estler's. Good luck!
    Edie

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

I'm updating the website now Edie. Yes, I am growing Estlers. I'm down to about 400 seed and that means it is time to produce some for next year.

DarJones

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Edie, there's a good way to get the EStler one out there that I'd like you to consider, and/or Darrel, for that matter.

In your previous thread here about this variety I said I had some old seeds, but too old to send to anyone.

Each year I send seeds to certain places for them to trial and if Darrel and/or you want to send me some fresh seeds I can send them along with some other very new varieties that I've offered in my annual seed offer elsewhere, now closed.

I've already sent the seeds for 2013 to Linda at TGS, b'c she has get them sown early, being in FL

But I also send to:

Sandhill Preservation
    Gleckler Seedmen
    Victory Seeds
    Casey's Heirloom Tomatos of Airdrie and Jeff has no problems whatsoever sending seeds from Canada to the US, so I think that it's a personal decision of Heritage Harvest in not sending them.

Tania ( she of the superb tomato data base website) lists over 400 varieties for sale and is a good friend and I'd send them to her as well. She's also in Canada and has no problem sending seeds to the US either,

And I send to several listed SSE members and perhaps they could list them b;c for 2013 I'm cutting back on my SSE listings, already have and will be doing so in the future,

And I do most of my posting at another site where I make one large seed offer each year, it's closed now, but if someone sends me seeds I could offer it there and there are the owners of several seed companies who post there and do participate in that seed offer,

Just something for you and Darrel to consider and my way of helping out to get them on the lists of more seed vendors.

Carolyn

• greenlott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for your help. This forum is great!

• cbadcali
    11 years ago

Greenlott, did you find a source? I ask because I have some and am willing to share. Let me know. Mary

• cbadcali
    11 years ago

Greenlott: I figured it out!!! they will be sent today. Happy growing. Mary

• greenlott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Steve and Mary!

• Peaberryjo
    11 years ago

Tom Wagner has a new estore. He has a lot of hard to find and rare tomato seeds. I ordered a bunch and boy, I already got them in the mail. Can't wait to germinate them and put them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Wagner Seeds

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Tom Wagner has a new estore. He has a lot of hard to find and rare tomato seeds. I ordered a bunch and boy, I already got them in the mail. Can't wait to germinate them and put them out.

$$$$$

He has two stores now, one in Hawaii and one in Oregon where he moved to from Bakersfield CA, and yes, I've known Tom since 1990 and have met him in person.

But what he's selling the most of are his so called blue ones, and almost all of them not gentically stable, which he didn't tell folks when he started selling them,unfortunately, and at very high prices as well.

However, this thread is about Mortgage Lifter (Estler)( wink), or I could list several other seed sources that list rare and unknown to many tomato varieties as well. (smile)

Carolyn

• texasjaxon
    11 years ago

Hello All!

Has anyone found a reliable source to purchase either the seeds or seedlings for the Estler Mortgage Lifter? Over the past few years I have discovered just how amazing heirloom tomatoes are! Through all the research I've done, the Estler plant has drawn my interest. Thank you ahead of time!

Jaxon

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Other than what you read above right now I know o fno commercial source for seeds.

A couple of weeks ago I sent some of my old seeds for it to Steve,at HEritage Seeds here in the US in CA. And if all goes well he should be at least one commercial source of seeds for 2014.

I just rechecked Tania'swebsite and only HEritage Harvest Seeds in Canada is listing it and as was noted above they don't ship to the US.

As for plants, in a post above you saw Fusion say he was growing it out for more seeds this summer, he doesn't sell seeds but does sell plants so you might want to take a look at his website and seeif he lists the Estler one for this season.He said he had about 400 seeds left but for a growout for more seeds he probably puts out less than 10 plants so lots left over, possibly, for plant sales.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Selected Plants

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Just a heads up that I have been contacted by 8 people so far this year who were looking for Estler's ML seed. I've sent packages along with a specific request that they grow them and re-offer seed. I am down to about 50 seed left but have 20 plants in a tray in the greenhouse of which at least 6 will go into the garden for seed increase. I have a couple hundred more seed started which will be for plant sales. I will probably not be able to supply any more seed until harvest.

DarJones

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Darrel, I've not sent folks to you for seeds but I know some who have contacted you and you've sent them seed.Or you have "gifted" some with seeds.

As I did above, I've only sent folks to you for plants, for many years now as you know..

So how about updating me as to whether you are or are not, now in the seed business as well and are accepting requests for same.

Thanks

Carolyn

• suncitylinda
    11 years ago

I acquired a few Estlers ML in a trade year before last and planted some this year. One came up so I am guarding it like a mama bear!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    11 years ago

Darrell, I sent out an email to my cousins to let them all know you have plants available. Not sure if any of them will actually order since I seem to be the only one of this generation to have inherited the "gardening gene" but I wanted them to be aware just in case. Not quite time to start seeds up my way yet, in about 3 weeks. Looking forward to it, and thank you again so much.

Edie

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

I am not in the seed business, but I make a point to distribute hard to find varieties when I can. If someone asks, I tell them to purchase seed from a supplier. If a variety is not otherwise available, then I will send a small sample of seed with a request to increase and distribute.

DarJones

• texasjaxon
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the follow up information! I did see that Heritage in Canada was not shipping to the US this year, which is a shame because they seem to have a fairly vast selection. But thankfully I happened to come across fusion_power's website, which is quite extensive as well!

Jaxon

• greenlott
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to Mary I have seedlings up and repotted for this year's crop. I will plant outside in mid to late April. If all goes well I will save seed and gift for next season.

• cbadcali
    11 years ago

Greenlott, glad they are holding up their end of the bargain. Hope they grow and produce well. It's nice to know you will pay it forward, that's what it's all about. happy growing. Mary

• texasjaxon
    11 years ago

I am now the proud parent of 7 newly sprouted Estler's Mortgage Lifter seedlings! Looking forward to planting them out in the garden in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can save a lot of seeds this year if all goes well. I gave my word to Mr. fusion_power I'd pay it forward and I'm intent on doing so! I agree with cbadcali, that's most definitely what it's all about.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES