Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Least suceptible BER varieties.

Posted by edweather Zone 5a/b Central NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 17:27

Can anyone suggest a few varieties that are least suceptible to BER? Thanks. Ed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Least suceptible BER varieties.

Ed, I and others answered you elsewhere where you asked the same question, so let's see what some here have to say about it.

Carolyn, who is also a 5a/b in NYS

o

Least susceptible to BER - cherry varieties, any of them. Most prone to BER - roma/paste types and heart.

This assumes that you already understand the causes of BER and that BER is primarily growing conditions related, NOT variety related. So technically one can grow any variety or type without any BER issues and many do so.

Dave

o

Yes, thanks. I do understand that BER is due to growing conditions. My problem is that I'm trying to grow large plants in smallish containers, which leads to poor consistancy in available water. I need to either use larger containers or grow smaller plants. Something has to give, because I was using my larger containers to grow other things.

o

I grow Big Beef every year. Two years ago, my Big Beef tomatoes had a lot of BER but last year there wasn't one tomato that had it. I found my tomatoes growing in-ground were a lot more productive than the ones in pots.

o

Larger containers is the solution. Even smaller determinate varieties can develop BER when grown in small containers. Shoot, even cherry types can.

It simply isn't possible to maintain consistent soil levels of moisture and nutrients. Using a drip set-up on auto timers helps but takes a great deal of ultra-fine tuning and adjustment.

Dave

o

I think a better topic would be "What can you do to prevent BER". Ami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here