Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain Merit

Posted by randy41 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 18:08

has anyone grown these and care to comment on them? they are a disease resistant red determinate. i'd like to know how productive they are and how they taste.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain Merit

I had to laugh a bit when I saw your user name since it was Dr, Randy Gardner at NCSU who bred that variety, see the link below.

You don't indicate where you grow tomatoes so I don't know if any of the tolerances, no resistances, would be helpful where you are.

Randy, whom I know, developed a series of varieties with Mountain as the first name.

No, I haven't grow it, but have grown his Mountain Magic, Plum Regal and Smarty ones recently.

He's retired now but still breeding tomatoes and has been and is, spending more time using certain heirloom varieties as parents to increase taste in his recent ones, not yet released as far as I know.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search; Mountain Merit

This post was edited by carolyn137 on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 21:05

o

I too have grown the Mountain Magic. I enjoyed them very much as snackers as I was working in the garden. They are small and I am also wondering about the Mountain Merits. I hope some one has tried them. If they grow as good, and taste as good as the MM'S I'm in!

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 22:22

Only tried them one season when they first became available. Not impressed with size, production, or taste.

JMO

Dave

o

i m interested in this variety because of its late blight resistance. i grow for market in the blue ridge mountains of southwest va, late blight will keep me from growing tomatoes outside unless i find another way. this variety was recommended in the webinar i watched yesterday on late blight.

o

I don't have late blight, but TSWV is a plague in this area, so I tried Mountain Merit for its TSWV resistance. Similar to the other Mountain series in size and taste and does have resistance to TSWV. Tastewise just below Amelia and bella Rosa among the TSWV varieties that I have tried. Mountain Merit photo MountainMerit1_zpsad3b636f.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here