Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarza

Prohibition on Seed Saving

scarza
9 years ago

Just when I was interested in seed libraries I found this recent ruling .

"The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (DOA) recently issued a protocol requiring the Simpson Seed Library in Mechanicsburg, PA to only have brand new, commercial seed each year citing that they were in violation of the PA Seed Act that regulates seed distributors. Under the protocol the seed library cannot house or receive any locally saved seed and must dispose of all commercial seed at the end of the year. The Maryland DOA has adopted the protocol and several other states have expressed an interest in doing so as well."

Comments (8)

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

yes, it's Farenheit 451 all over again

• wandascollectibles
    9 years ago

We must write and thank our elected officials. We hear so often how their campaigns cost over a million dollars and they must take all the bribes...... Sorry, contrubitations...... they can.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

You would think ag officials would want to promote agriculture. Just think if we had to destroy corn or soybean seeds at the end of each year. Some lobbyist somewhere managed to pull something. Sounds like they tried to foist it off as a non-con bill and had to 'pass it before they knew what was in it. Because the voters were too stupid to understand.'

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

What is the source of this information please? Without knowing the source of quoted info it is impossible to determine if they have any hidden agendas, what their source is, or how accurate their info is.

Dave

• scarza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh don't worry, it is accurate. Here is the source.

http://seedlibraries.net/

This law has been on the books for a long time, but this is the first instance where i have seen it applied to seed trading. Seed companies are usually required to do germination testing on the seeds that are sold yearly.
    Not exactly on topic, but watch this film about corn and you will have an understanding of how agriculture, business and government "cooperate".

http://vimeo.com/58736941

This post was edited by scarza on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 21:32

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

I love the idea, but I agree with digdirt. My problem with the implementation is that it is being framed in the same way as a GW swap (the type that is perfectly legal and has been done for millenia). It is NOT, NOT, NOT that.

In this case the mass media was involved in the promotion of a government financed seed distribution format based on barter instead of cash. A most honorable endeavor in its infant stage and innocous for the moment, but all subject to regulation like everyone else including seed companies of all sizes.

IMO this sort of scandal is more likely to bring the ax down on mom & pop seed companies than it is to get the government into the mass seed bartering effort, although the USDA has had that sort of program for years and it got out of control. I want "free" seeds as much as the next person, but I want some safeguards/traceability or to trust the people I exchange with.

PC

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

From what I have read from the source you linked as well as the many other info sources available, there is no prohibition on seed saving as your title says.

However there are restrictions on disseminating those seeds to others without any regard for the regulations and safety considerations. Germination and mis-labeling issues aside (since most traders are willing to accept those risks if necessary), spreading seed-borne bacterial and viral diseases via traded seeds from unknown sources is well documented. That is something any state that wishes to protect it agricultural interests has a right to enforce.

When trading seeds it would be great to know if they were harvested properly, labeled correctly, and stored to retain viability. But more important, it serves us all well to insure that those seeds have been properly disinfected prior to planting.

Dave

• yardenman
    9 years ago

That legally bothers me about as much as copying Commodore computer software did in the 80's. MY concern is keeping those damn seeds OUT of my garden.