Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrie22

Has anyone grown these varieties for TYLCV resistance

corrie22
15 years ago

Our island is getting hit hard with ToYLCV this winter. We think we know why, but that's beside the point.

I need to start seed again if we are going to have any tomatoes this year at all. By the time I get them out, it will be warmer, and that will mean more whitefly and thrips.

I was only able to find three varieties available to home growers, that say they are ToYLCV resistant.

This one is from Totally Tomatoes:

"Champion 11 Hybrid Tomato(VFFNTA) If you love the ever popular Champion Hybrid then you're sure to become a fan of this variety. Features even more disease resistance while maintaining the same delicious flavor and timing. Delivers high yields of meaty, 6 to 7 oz. fruits. Also exhibits intermediate resistance to Yellow Leaf Curl Virus. "

These two are from Tomatoe Growers Supply:

"Margo (VFFT) Hybrid New for 2009 Shiney red 6oz tomatoes are juicy and flavorful, making them just right for slicing. Compact plants only grow to about 30 in tall while still offering great production. The disease resistance package includes tomato yellow leaf curl virus resistance, which is also helpful for gardeners in many areas. Margo provides perfect size, taste, and disease protection in a beautiful tomato. Determinate 70 days"

"Sun King (VFTA)Hybrid Now gardners can harvest big, rich-tasting tomatoes all the way until frost. From the beginning of the season until the end, deep red, smooth meaty fruit is extra large with well-balanced mild, sweet flavor. Good crack resistance, few seeds, and very little waste make these tomatoes great for slicing. Vigorous plants are resistant to Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus, serious problem for some tomato gardeners. Determinate 75 days"

TGS says this about Champion II:

"Champion II (VFNT) Hybrid Especially bred as a luscious sandwich tomato...solid, meaty slices with just the right sweetness. High yields of large fruit bigger than Early Girl and earlier than Better Boy. Outstanding performer. Indeterminate 70 days"

TGS does not mention any resistance to TYLCV like TT does.

If you guys know anything about these varities - good or bad - please let me know. Other than Champion, I have never heard of the other two until now.

Thanks

Corrie

Comments (7)

• HoosierCheroKee
    15 years ago

Corrie,

I'm looking at my new 2009 Twilley Seed catalog and see something called PS 01522935 Hybrid: Midseason (av. 75 DTM) "Unique new disease package features resistance to the recently troublesome problem pathogen Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl, plus TSWV and 5 others (V1, F1&2, N, ASC, Gray Leaf Spot). Fruit set up firm across a wide range of conditions, with high proportion of large to extra large grades (8 - 12 oz). Vigorous determinate. Trials report wide adaptation with performance holding up in both dry and humid climates."

25 seeds: 2.60
    250 seeds: 19.90

www.twilleyseed.com

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bill, thank you a million times.

I'm going to give Twilley a call first thing in the morning, order those seed, and ask them if they have any others TYLCV resistant.

I have not been able to download their catalog on the internet in a long time, and had completely forgotten about them, and they are a great supplier.

Thanks again
    Corrie

• corrie22
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Talked to Twilley this morning, they sold out of those seed in a hurry. Have more on order, and will probably be able to ship them in March.

I should have Champion II, Sun King, and Margo in from TGS this week.

Corrie

• flowerbill1952_aol_com
    14 years ago

Grew Sophya, SecuriTy and Champion II this past winter- all reported to have resistance to TYLC virus. I did spray with permethrin every 10 days until I had fruit set to hold white fly at bay. All varieties grew and yeilded well. Champion II is still bearing 6 months after planting and is over 8' tall. Liked the flavor of SecuriTy (acidic) and Champion II (sweet, good tomato flavor) better than Sophya which was rather bland. The prior winter all plants died from TYLC virus before bearing (can't remember the varieties that year). Would like to hear how varieties tried by others faired and tasted.

• azruss
    14 years ago

Corrie, this is off subject, but I'm going to ask anyway. When you plant tomatoes as late as you're going to, how do you get them to grow in the heat? Mine just sit there. They don't die, don't grow, nothing. I would love to have a fall harvest of some determinate paste varieties, but I'd have to set them out in late July/early August. It's very hot (95+ days, 80+ nights) and somewhat humid here then (monsoon season).

I know that you use aluminet shade cloth and insulate containers. Is that it?

• Comprotutto
    9 years ago

Last year all my tomatoes got infected. I am growing champion II from seed this year. Did not use pesticide to keep white fly at bay (after all is not virus resistance developed to avoid using pesticide against white flies?). All champ II got the virus. Worthless

• fusion_power
    9 years ago

If you read the blurbs, it is only intermediate resistance, not immunity. You MUST protect the plants to some degree or they will always go down with TYLC.

There are some varieties available now that have more stacked resistance genes. Four genes are in current literature ty-1, ty-2, ty-3, and ty-4. Check the Florida breeding program for some details.

One of the new resistance mechanisms is plants that repel whiteflies. Combine this with some of the virus tolerance genes and we should have tomatoes that grow and produce regardless of whitefly presence.

The Florida breeding program is working on this but may be a few years away from highly resistant plants.