Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Ridge Black Fans (?)

Posted by reginald_25 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 20:37

Hey, any gardeners with experience doing Blue Ridge Black ? Fetched a few seeds from Tatiana, not via a trade. Rather rarefied in distribution at this time, I think. Comments on it, particularly taste-wise, would be appreciated.

Reggie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Ridge Black Fans (?)

I'm curious about it, as my parents used to live two or three miles from East Flat Rock.

o
RE: Blue Ridge Black Fans (?)

Since Tania is offering it for the first time for 2014 I doubt that anyone here can help you in that regard unless it's an SSE member and I already did that for you below..

From the link below you'll also see that has been previously SSE listed and I do happen to have my 2013 SSE annual at the top of a pile of yearbooks near me and can at least tell you what they said, I think I remember that it was first SSE listed in 2010,so nothing new.

NY, same info that Tania has and says 1# black beefsteaks, indet, PL, great flavor ,productive, seeds from Millard, the originator of the variety.

WI, 8-12 oz pink/black, other basic traits, excellent taste, seeds from someone in TX who got the seeds from Millard,

Because of the post above mine I'm just adding that Millard has introduced quite a few varieties, Captain Lucky and Captain Lucky White come to mind and those two and the one being asked about are all from accidental cross pollinations, selections made and named when genetic stability has been reached, which can take, usually,from 4 to maybe 7 years based on what the original parents were.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Ridge Black

This post was edited by carolyn137 on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 23:44

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here