Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerme_gw

Tomato for desert climate-dry and hot

gardenerme
15 years ago

Anyone know of any tomatoes that would do well in the dry heat of August here? Last year mine quit producing any flowers when the heat stayed at over 100 degrees, which was a lot of the summer.

Comments (5)

• mtbigfigh
    15 years ago

Pollen usually becomes sterile above 95 degrees If I remember right Super Souix can handle 97-98 - there are a few others that are not quite as but are still extra heat tolerant - get some hort screen and drape over the plants - maybe someone knows a sight where Ariz tomato growers have some ideas

• pitbulllawyer
    15 years ago

Hi Gardnerme,

Here's what produced best for me last year, and I planted late (May 1), we had weeks of 90-100+ temps starting in June, and my plants were against a solid (heat-trapping) privacy fence:

Black Prince (smallish, but wildly prolific, almost to the point of being a nuisance)

Earl's Faux (Enormous pink beefsteak w/Potato leaf)

Sugold cherries
    (these were right against the fence, being the hottest and full-sun part of my garden)

Everything else I planted was OK, but not super-high yield until the heat subsided. I did not, however, have a lot of blossom drop.

I foliar fed religiously with Foxfarm's "tiger bloom"(2-8-4) once the plants started blossoming, alternating with aspirin water. This was the first time I ever did a foliar feed. I don't have anything to do with FF, and it didn't come recommended from anyone, I just thought I'd try it. All I know is that I had other friends with severe blossom drop last year, and I didn't.

I also got some cheap ($0.50/yd) white gauzy cloth from W-Mrt to shade/reflect heat, which I attached to CRW cages with binder clips. I left it on all season once the heat cranked up, and I didn't have trouble with sunscald. Some swear by proper "shade cloth," but what I found in my local stores was dark in color (heat attracting) and VERY expensive.

IMHO, potato leaf varieties seemed to do better in my garden, as they tended to provide more of their own shade.

Hope this helps!
    Cheeers, PBL

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

This actually is a frequent discussion--here are some previous responses:

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=desert+heat&forum=tomato&forum_name=Growing+Tomatoes

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Heat

• jll0306
    15 years ago

heh. I have your standard recommendations saved somewhere, Carla. I thought about posting them for you, to save you from having to answer this yet again.

PBL, I believe it is also Carla who recommends giving plants a cooling-off spray in the heat of the day. Maybe your foliar feed had the same effect?

• sautesmom Sacramento
    15 years ago

LOL, yes, well, we were all "here for the first time" once, and newbies usually don't know you can use the search function below to see if their questions have been asked before. And we all grew our own first tomato at one time or another--nobody comes into this world a tomato expert, and I know many people have years more experience than my own 10 years+-! I would hate for anyone to feel discouraged into not asking a question, but sometimes it's easier to just post a link.

Carla in Sac