Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best heirloom drying and cooking tomato

Posted by BioTomato 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 12 at 23:24

It Doesn't really matter what kind of tomato it is. Also, Can anyone tell me if red and yellow currant is good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best heirloom drying and cooking tomato

You can find what you are looking for in this thread or send a message to brokenbar.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg121400287050.html

As for the currant tomatoes, I make a point of not growing them because the production is very low and they tend to cross with normal tomatoes at a very high rate.

DarJones

o

There really is no "best" but there are literally hundreds of "great" ones. So you will want to define your criteria/needs a great deal more.

The thread linked for you above offers some great choices.

Currants - agree they are problematic and not worth the trouble IMO. Especially in your zone where thousands of varieties will do and be so much better.

Dave

o

Bio:

I have not dried tomatoes, but I did follow that link and Brokenbar suggested Opalka for drying. I cannot comment because again, I have not dried tomatoes, and frankly don't care to consume them. However, I do make tomato sauce (from all types of tomatoes) and my favorite tomato for sauce is Opalka. Given Brokenbar suggests it for drying and I can recommend it for sauce/cooking it might fit the bill for you. It has very few seeds and is not juicy. It makes a naturally thick sauce. They taste lovely cooked (or fresh - or in salsa) too. You mention heirloom in the subject... and I'm not sure if it's an heirloom, but it's OP... You don't know me, but I'm particular about my tomatoes and I LOVE opalka.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck in your quest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here