Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slimak_gw

Need a little help with downsizing

slimak
10 years ago

I'm new to gardening and I just want grow some seedlings for my parents and family who always buy the same boring tomato plants year after year. I've read many posts, reviews and I came up with this list. Unfortunately :) They can't grow that many plants in one year so please help me narrow it down. We could have 5 plants growing directly in ground, 6 in pots and 5 in hanging baskets. I haven't had the chance to try most of them and what I want to avoid is that bland taste. Please let me know which in your opinion would fit my need

Tumbler Hybrid
Tiny Tim
4th of July
Ildi
Sungold Hybrid
Sweet Million Hybrid FT
Super Sweet 100 Hybrid VF
Lizzano
Currant Sweet Pea
Jelly Bean Red & Yellow
Camp Joy Cherry
Yellow Pear
Umberto
Stupice
Bloddy Butcher
Beliy Naliv
Sophie's Choice
Silvery Fir Tree
Early Wonder
Beaver Lodge Slicer
Manitoba
Bush Beefsteak
506 Bush
Black Krim
Bosque Blue Bumblebee
Big Beef
Super Bush
Amish Red
Ace 55
Casady's Folly
German Johnson
Chocolate Stripes
Cherokee Purple
Indigo Rose
Pineapple
Japanese Black Trifele
Red Zebra
Black Brandywine
Red Brandywine

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Wow that is quite a list! About all any of us can do is tell you which ones we would pick. And, other than taste you have some other limitations to work with in your info that will eliminate several of them.

6 in pots - how big are the pots? If 7-10 gallons at least then 4th of July, Stupice, Bush Beefsteak, Fir Tree, Early Wonder, and one of the Jelly Beans

5 In ground with some really good tomato cages (not the 3 ring things - Big Beef, Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Sungold, Sweet Million

Hanging baskets - Tumbler and Tiny Tim are the only ones on the list that will work in those.

Not that I would grow all these choices personally but I'm just using your list to go by. And you don't indicate location of any kind or garden zone so that would make a big difference in choices too.

Don't waste your time on - Yellow Pear, Ace, Red Zebra, or Chocolate Stripes IMO.

Hope this helps some.

Dave

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

People say that Yellow Pear is bland, so you might want to ditch that one.

If you don't like acidic tomatoes, you could ditch Silvery Fir Tree. I found it nasty and have banished it forever from my garden.

Tiny Tim was also too acidic for me, even though it did fit into a small pot.

Sweet Million and Supersweet 100 taste similar so you could pick just one.

Linda

• slimak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I'm in zone 5b. I grew Camp Joys and Yellow pears under lights and they were bland you're right but I didn't know how they turn out in normal conditions. Thank you for eliminating the other ones toi. I gathered this list by seeing what repeats on posts so if you'd like to make better suggestion please do so :) I was thinking about using 10 gallon pots or grow bags. As far as the varieties for baskets do you know what else I should consider? I've seen this variety 100's & 1000's but I can't find seeds in the US.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

The variety named Hundreds & Thousands was developed by Sutton's Seed (UK) about 3 years ago and other than someone who was selling the seeds on ebay the only other current supplier I know of outside UK is in Canada. They are just too new for wide seed distribution yet.

Instead for baskets look at - Baxter's Early Bush, Tumbling Tom (Red or Yellow), Whippersnapper, Floragold Basket, Red Robin, Garden Pearl to name a few. Success and production will depend on the size of the basket - bigger the better.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS: using normal conditions won't make Yellow Pear any better. :)

• slimak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's too bad about those Hundreds & Thousands, they look so nice :) Thank you for recommendations on similar types! I want to have a nice color and fruit size varieties on those so I'll take a closer look how the ones you listed will do. Hopefully I'll find some currant size. What size baskets do you recommend? I want the vines to be able to grow few feet down.

Rafal

PS: thanks for the tip ! I definitely won't grow those anymore. I couldn't believe how bad they were. Tiny Tim's were a lot better tasting, on the sweet side. I'm trying to grow the black Krim and Cherokee Purple now :) but we'll see how they turn out under fluorescents.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County