Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying tomato variety!

Posted by DownunderDigger none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 0:09

Im hoping someone can help! I bought some of these tomatoes from an Italian market and remember them being the tastiest thing I at in that country (and that is saying something!). I'd like to grow them myself but I don't know what variety they are.

They are extremely small (smaller than grapes which might not be evident from the photo), quite firm with few seeds and very sweet. The small nipple at the bottom of each fruit is something I have never seen on small fruiting tomatoes before.

They don't seem to match the descriptions on heirloom websites and I was hoping that someone might have come across them and point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying tomato variety!

looks like Santa sweet. but then again there few hundred grape varieties

o

The variety Reisentraube has small fruits with a nipple at the blossom end, as do some other small varieties, but there's absolutely no way that a specific variety can be Ided once it has lost its label and becomes an orphan.

You show a container of them, and if it's the container you bought there should have been a label on it somewhere I would think.

And there's a good bet that they are F1 hybrids as well.

Carolyn

o

Thanks for your help Carolyn. Unfortunately the container had no label, I think they were direct from the grower. Reisentraube looks a bit too round.

o

Could it be "Sugary" hybrid? I expect that there may be some commercial hybrids not too different from it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugary hybrid

o
RE: Another possibility

About the same weight as Sugary, longer shape - Tinkerbell. Red Pear Hybrid here http://californiahybrids.com/category/grape-tomatoes/ is smaller. Breeders are at work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinkerbell

o

I still feel very strongly that no matter what varieties might be suggested that there's no way to ID a variety such as shown above, or for that matter any variety, with few exceptions, when a label has been lost.

it becomes an orphan, Sigh,

If seeds are saved from the fruits in that basket and lots of plants put out with those F2 seeds and all plants give the same fruits, then it might be an OP variety, but if different plants have different fruits it probably was an unknown hybrid to start with,

Carolyn

o

Very true, Carolyn. And I think this one is likely to be a hybrid. It may only be possible to come up with a variety with similar characteristics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here