Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela_t

Looking for a trade for oxheart tomatoes...

angela.t
11 years ago

I posted a trade on the trade board, and although I'm working on a few trades right now to cover a few other varieties I wanted, there's still two varieties I can't seem to get my hands on.

Even normal seed sites don't tend to carry the following, and Tatiana's Tomatobase is sold out:
-Wes
-Kosovo

Also, I would just need about 4-5 seeds of each. :)

If anyone would be willing to trade me some seeds, I'd be super grateful! Just message me back if you're interested. To see what I have in exchange, you can look at my trade board or if you just want tomatoes, I have:

Italian Tree
Opalka
San Marzano Redorta
Middle Tennessee

I could spare a few(like 3-4 per trade) seeds of the following as well:
Marianna's Peace
Brandywine, Suddath's Strain

Comments (16)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Posts such as this belong on the tomato seed exchange forum linked below.

Once a trade post such as this is posted on this discussion forum then others follow and next thing the discussion forum is flooded with trade requests. That is why the Tomato Seed trade forum was created.

Thanks.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato seed Trade forum

• angela.t
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had looked at doing that before, but since there has only been two posts since December, and the Seed Trade Board is busy but no one seems to have those varieties, I figured to try here. *sigh* Alright, guess I'll go buy them. hah

I understand what you mean though Dave. :)

• helenh
    11 years ago

There is a tomato round robin going on in the round robin forum. They want at least 10 seeds in each pack.

Here is a link that might be useful: round robin

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

It's a bit early now too and the exchange forum will pick up in activity over the next few weeks.

Dave

• kevinitis
    11 years ago

I saw Kosovo on Tomato Grower's supply just yesterday.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

From the link below you can see that I was the first to get Kosovo from Glenn Parker of NZ and the history of this variety.

When at that page click on the Seed Availability tab at the top of the general info page and see the huge number of seed vendors that offer it.

When on the general info Kosovo page after you've read what yoju want to,go to the upper left and click on MAIN which takes you back to Home, and when there click on the shortcut tab at the top which gives you several ways to find a variety, When I know the name of a variety I use the alphabetical method,

Tania now has over 4,000 pages for varieties and I think everyone should have her site in their faves,

Yes, as noted on the first general page for Kosovo I first SSE listed it in 2003 but my seeds are too old to send to anyone now, even if I knew where they were.( smile)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Kosovo

• angela.t
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Helenh,
    Thanks so much for directing me there! I just posted in there and I believe I'm going to join it! :)

Dave,
    That's true. The one thing is though, I'm starting my tomato plants right now, that's why I have ants in my pants. ;) Last year I still had huge green tomatoes all OVER my vines when the season had ended. I had started them the "4-6 weeks before last frost", but I guess for heirlooms in Utah that don't cut it. Haha My father-in-law buys the like 2'-3' plants from the nurseries, and always hybrid, so he couldn't help the friendly competition between us where he had tomatoes about 1 1/2-2 months before me. But what can I say? I absolutely LOVE growing things from seeds and am slightly bias towards the idea of heirlooms. Though I do love me some Sun Gold. ;)

Kevinitis,
    I did happen to see that. The one thing I'm not too keen on the idea of though is ordering from 3-4 different seed companies at once. I guess already with the two I'm juggling, it's hard to keep straight what I need to get from where, and I'm also having to see what two stores(well, a store and a nursery) carry near me to get cheaper. Did my first round of that today. SO...in a way simplification is best at this point I think. Haha Also, I thought it'd be nice to swap with someone who might need my seeds like I theirs. But again, I'm not against just buying them.

Carolyn,
    Thanks for the heads up. I did happen to find such a page before, but I know for one variety I started to hunt down that way a company or two didn't carry it anymore? Though with such a large database I'm sure you can't micromanage it to that level. ;) And thanks anyway!

• helenh
    11 years ago

I e-mailed you but got no response. If you google Wintersown you can also find a tomato offer there. Some of the tomatoes on your want list on your member page may be there. I don't think they have Wes or Kosovo. I have tomatoes planted in cups on top of my refrigerator now. It is too early but the winter is so warm I'm expecting another roasting summer. I have never seen much activity on the exchange page here.

• angela.t
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Helenh,
    I've already talked to the lady in charge there. The two main seeds I was interested in she said she was going to be out of probably in the next day or two. Since she can't reserve them, and by the time my letter got there...it probably wouldn't have worked out.

As for e-mailing me, I just checked my messages again and I didn't see anything. Guess I gotta check the settings on here AGAIN...haha What was your message about?

The exchange page seems alright, though the tomato one isn't as busy as I'd like. But then again I'm a tomato and veggies and fruit fan, so I don't care about the flowers on the exchange page as much as others may. ;)

• suncitylinda
    11 years ago

Angela - Pls send me a private message with your address and I will send you some Kosovo seeds.

• helenh
    11 years ago

I sent another message; sometimes my messages from new contacts are hiding in the junk mail.

• kevinitis
    11 years ago

So you are in Utah eh Angela.t? Well then we have something in common, I am in Ogden, UT. I have a good stock to make a few trades, including some oxheart types. They are not Wes or Kosovo, so you may not be interested. But check out my trade list to see if you might like any of those, and perhaps make a swap.

• ddsack
    11 years ago

Angela,
    Have you changed the email address which you used when you signed up as a user here, or maybe our messages are in your spam folder. I also sent you an email.

• angela.t
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay. So I'm making a trade right now with someone with Kosovo and Pineapple seeds, so I'm covered there.

As for why ya'lls e-mails aren't getting to me, I don't know WHAT's going on there. I have the same e-mail address as when I signed up, and when someone told me last week his e-mail bounced I checked all the GardenWeb settings....when ya'll go to send a message do you see my full e-mail address above the GardenWeb box where it says they'll send the e-mail to me if you type it in there?

Also, when ya'll do try to send me a message, if you do see my e-mail address listed above the "fill out" box, do you log into your e-mail and paste my address there or just fill the form out on here? I've sent e-mails to people through the box just fine, but yeah, it seems GardenWeb's having a time of it trying to send them to me? Any thoughts on what I should check to fix that? I wanna know I'm getting everyone e-mails should they so decide to send me one! :)

• angela.t
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kevinitis,
    That's cool you're in Ogden. I'm in the greater Salt Lake area. :) As for a trade, unfortunately I didn't see any I'd be interested in right now, and although I have one you're looking for, Opalka, I don't really have enough seeds to really even to just give 'em to ya, sorry! But I do see ya posting on this board often enough so should I think to grow a new variety I'll have to keep an eye on your trades list!

• angela.t
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kevinitis,
    I actually just checked my seeds. I'm sending you an e-mail about a possible trade/SASE for Opalka. :)