Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to fertilize tomato seedlings

Posted by oilrigg 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 1:23

I've read that you should fertilize tomato seedlings once it starts growing its true leaves. How big do the true leaves need to be in order to start fertilizing? I've added a pic of one of my seedlings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to fertilize tomato seedlings

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 8:43

You have more than one seedling there.

o

Recommendation that I've heard and used to follow is to start fertilizing once the first truss has set. Unless for some reason you have a poor starting / growing medium.

o

Feeding seedlings is optional. Some do, many don't. Feeding or not depends on the growing mix you are using and how long before they can go to the garden.

Looks like 3 there. Those 3 need to be separated and two of them repotted. Bury most of the stems too.
Main thing is if you do feed them be sure to use a well diluted and a nutrient balanced mix and keep it to a minimum. Root development, not top growth, is what is important at this stage.

Dave

o

I'm using Kellogg's Potting Soil that has no fertilizer.

Is it alright to separate them at this stage? Or will it shock the seedlings?

o

It is only going to get harder on them. Right now, with care it should be relatively easy to do. Just carefully dump out the cup into your hand and carefully work the plants out of the soil and apart. Next time try to do it earlier.

But either way 2 of them have to go. If you don't want to risk it then snip off all but one at the soil line.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here