Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coldframe temps

Posted by kitteh 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 2:49

What temp should your cold frame be getting minimum for it to be safe to put out young tomato / peppers ? Does it just have to stay over frost? I started a few seeds indoors but don't want to keep them too long without sunlight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coldframe temps

Tomatoes need a soil temp of 65 to 75 degrees to grow the root system.

o

I might need a heating mat, indoors isn't even that warm.

Can they stay out at night safely if temps are only warm in the day?

o

I protect from frost, but it all depends on the size and sturdiness of the seedlings. Can you put the indoor seedlings under a flourescent light, that's what I use. You can [kind of] see it in this picture.

o

I only planted the seeds yesterday and was going to put them out when they were about the size of yours, but this would be my first time trying to start seeds before the season, and my first try with tomatoes. I can't buy a big light yet. I was thinking if I need to protect the tomatoes and peppers or make them really warm I could 'double coldframe' them or bring them in at night maybe.

o

Soon as those babies pop out of the soil you will need a light source. If you have a protected spot on the patio that will give them some bright shade that might work.

They won't 'get to the size of [mine]' without a strong light source. Just a shop light from the auto parts store could work if you only have a few.

o

You are in zone 6? It will get cold again even though today was beautiful. It is too early for a cold frame for tomatoes. You can use a desk lamp and a compact fluorescent bulb on a few seedlings, but still would need more light as they grew big and they will by the time for you to plant outside. A shop light from Lowes with cheap 40 watt bulbs will open up a new world.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here