Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hillseeker

Tomatoes Best for Greenhouse

hillseeker
11 years ago

I'm interested in coloured tomatoes that would be best to grow in a pretty warm greenhouse. I prefer roma and like sweet million red but not aware if there are colored ones similar.

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Take a look at this discussion from over on the Greenhouse forum. Great pics and should be right up your alley zone wise - or close anyway - if you have a good way of cooling when needed.

In my zone it wouldn't work as it gets way to hot in there after about mid-May but it should work for you.

Personally I'd limit it to determinate and bush varieties just so the size can be controlled. Perhaps New Big Dwarf, Cobra, Tropic just for suggestion.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: My Riga greenhouse pics discussion

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    11 years ago

You'll find that greenhouse growers are split between Determinate type and Indeterminite type plants. Personally I only stick with INDT varieties in my structures using the frame and stringlines as a support; I love it. For field grown tomatoes I use Det. varieties and 2' cylindrical cages.

As an answer to your question you can grow anything better in a greenhouse, hybrids and heirlooms. But for a good base tomato you should go with a proven "Workhorse" variety. I always grow Trust & Big Beef and for cherry types Favorita is exceptional. I've tried Rebelski last year and was impressed and this year I'm trying a few Caimen plants. I've been less impressed with Massada, Petenza, Geronimo and Caruso but others have liked them.

What I would suggest is that you look for a variety with Leaf Mold resistance and if any other foliar diseases appear then you can adjust your varieties another year. I've not had Late Blight problems inside my structures even when field grown plants had issues. For field grown Det. varieties I predominately plant LB resistant varieties.

• K K
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What were the results of caimen as compared to trust, rebelski and geronimo? (Taste, yield, size etc). And do you still rank "Trust" as the no.1 beefsteak for a greenhouse?

• Barrie, (Central PA, zone 6a)
    7 years ago

KK, I've backed off on my appreciation of Trust. I still grow a dozen plants every year because I spent the big dollars on seed 5 years ago and I feel the need to use it til gone. The problem is that I notice a slump in production and plants just seem to lack vigor. Flavor is OK but fruits are not much over 7 oz. and get a bit smaller over time. Of all greenhouse varieties this one might be a candidate for grafting.