Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes Best for Greenhouse

Posted by HillSeeker 3B (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 4:32

I'm interested in coloured tomatoes that would be best to grow in a pretty warm greenhouse. I prefer roma and like sweet million red but not aware if there are colored ones similar.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes Best for Greenhouse

Take a look at this discussion from over on the Greenhouse forum. Great pics and should be right up your alley zone wise - or close anyway - if you have a good way of cooling when needed.

In my zone it wouldn't work as it gets way to hot in there after about mid-May but it should work for you.

Personally I'd limit it to determinate and bush varieties just so the size can be controlled. Perhaps New Big Dwarf, Cobra, Tropic just for suggestion.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: My Riga greenhouse pics discussion

o
RE: Tomatoes Best for Greenhouse

You'll find that greenhouse growers are split between Determinate type and Indeterminite type plants. Personally I only stick with INDT varieties in my structures using the frame and stringlines as a support; I love it. For field grown tomatoes I use Det. varieties and 2' cylindrical cages.

As an answer to your question you can grow anything better in a greenhouse, hybrids and heirlooms. But for a good base tomato you should go with a proven "Workhorse" variety. I always grow Trust & Big Beef and for cherry types Favorita is exceptional. I've tried Rebelski last year and was impressed and this year I'm trying a few Caimen plants. I've been less impressed with Massada, Petenza, Geronimo and Caruso but others have liked them.

What I would suggest is that you look for a variety with Leaf Mold resistance and if any other foliar diseases appear then you can adjust your varieties another year. I've not had Late Blight problems inside my structures even when field grown plants had issues. For field grown Det. varieties I predominately plant LB resistant varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here