Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving Heirloom Tomato seeds

Posted by Gertrude1 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 7:08

I've read that if you want to save heirloom tomato seeds you must plant specific tomatoes ten feet away from other specific tomatoes. An example would be planting Cherokee Purple ten feet from Black cherry. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a good rule of thumb.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving Heirloom Tomato seeds

Gertrude, the link below is from the FAQ's at the top of this first page and I think it's an excellent discussion and should answer most of your questions.

How pure you want your seeds and for what purpose, home use, sharing with others, trading, which I don't do, listing with SSE, are situations only you can decide.

You'll see in the article that saving seeds by distance is not used by many.

Please read the section on when insects do their pollinating, since in some areas they are most active early in the season, in other areas late in the season. I saved seeds only from ripe fruits late in the season since insect activity where lived was early so the earliest of ripe fruits were more apt to have some X pollinated seed..

I can give you another link from SESE ( Southern Explosure Seed Exchange), written by Dr. Jeff McCormack, which is much more detailed on X pollination or you can Google SESE yourself..

So first, decide what you're going to do with the seeds and then either leave them alone, which I do since my crossing rate where I live is only about 5% meaning that of seed saved from 100 varieties about 5 will have some fruits that might be be cross pollinated.

And that's because, as also discussed in the link, most of the time blossoms are pollinated before they ever open up.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn, who also notes there are some other excellent articles in the FAQ section.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Pollination

o
RE: Saving Heirloom Tomato seeds

As explained, the crossing is so minimal that most of us don't worry about it. If you want 100% guaranteed pure then just bag some of the blooms and save those seeds as explained in the link Carolyn provided.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here