Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Chocalate Stripes A Determinate?

Posted by ncrealestateguy 7b Charlotte, NC (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 12 at 7:19

I planted Chocolate Stripes for the first time for the 2011 season. I had 3 plants. The fruit was abundant and the taste was really good... my daughter's and wife's favorite.
But, all of the tomatoes ripened at the same exact time! I am talking about having to harvest all of the tomatoes in one day! After this harvest, I maybe picked 5 tomatoes between the 3 plants the rest of the season. The yeild was really good. This has me believing that this variety is a determinate one. But all my research says it is not. I know this variety is grown a lot by GardenWebbers, so I am hoping for some feedback on your all's experience.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Chocalate Stripes A Determinate?

No, Chocolate Stripes is not a determinate.

I've linked below to the page for this variety from Tania's superb tomato database/ I thought you might also be interested in where this variety came from.

When you're through reading at that page, pictures, seed sources for most varieties, go to the upper left and click on MAIN, which takes you back to the Home page.

And there you'll see many resources and ways to find a variety but when I know the name of a variety I use the alphabetical method and that link is on the main page in the group of special links.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Stripes

o

Carolyn,
What would cause almose evry tomato on the plants to come ripe all within a few days?
Thanks for the link... i am going there now.

o

I have no idea why the fruits of all three plants ripened in one day. Most unusual for either det OR indet plants.

Those who list it in the SSE YEarbooks say nothing at all about ripening fruits all at once.

And you're sure that it was Chocolate Stripes that you were growing?

I wish I could help more, but by now you've read the page at Tania's tomato data base, so there's really nothing more that I can add.

Sorry.

Carolyn

o

Yaeh,,,it was CS from Tomatofest. It was my wife's and daughter's favorite for taste and appearance. They said it looked like a Christmas ornament. I will grow them again this year and see how they do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here