Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ticodxb

Is bat guano or seabird guano good for tomatoes?

ticodxb
12 years ago

I bought some bat guano (NPK 3-10-1) and Seabird guano (NPK 1-10-0) to grow flowers in the summer here because I read that they do not heat up and burn plants.

I am wondering if either of these would be suitable for growing tomatoes.

Is there a specific time either of these would be perfect for fertilizing tomatoes? Or is there something I should mix with either of these to make a better fertilizer for the tomatoes?

The instructions say I can either sprinkle the guano around the plant or mix with water and water the plants.

I am already using an organic pelleted slow-release fertilizer with NPK ratio of 9-4.5-8.5, and also a liquid seaweed fertilizer as well.

I have two tomato plants that are already flowering and forming tomatoes (I think they are determinate types as they didn't get very tall--these were grown from seed that my mother-in-law got from store-bought tomatoes) and one seedling that was transplanted into its final pot 4 days ago (an Orange Minsk variety), so that one is still small, about 7 inches tall

Comments (11)

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    12 years ago

Yes, guano is an excellent organic fertilizer for use in a garden. Like other organics, it releases nutrients slowly. So you should add it now and expect results later in the season. Since it is not balanced, be sure to continue using your organic fertilizer, which sounds good.

• rnewste
    12 years ago

I am going to run some trials using it this Season in SWC containers.

Funny, but my two test bags from Roots Organic Corp. have an NPK of 9-0-0, and 15-0-0. I guess bats have a different "diet" depending on where in the World the guano is harvested.

I will be dispersing 1/2 Cup of it into 3 cubic feet of Potting Mix, along with the Dolomite Lime and fertilizer strip (2 Cups Tomato-tone).

Raybo

• suncitylinda
    12 years ago

Raybo - I'm surprised you are only using 2 cups of organic fert. EB recommends 3 if using organic and some of the members suggest using more if the numbers are low, as it seems to me they are in tomato tone. PS: 3 more Brandywine from Croatia babys have just come into the world...... LInda (AKA Proud Mama!)

• rnewste
    12 years ago

Hi Linda,

Glad to hear the B.f.C. are up and growing!!!

I am actually using a 50/50% blend of the Old Tomato-tone, with the New Tomato-tone. So, it is a bit more potent rather than just using 100% of the organic New Tomato-tone.

In addition to the Tomato-tone, I will supplement with Grow Big and Tiger Bloom ferts during the Season.

Now getting the EarthTainers prepared for plant-out March 1 this year. Been a VERY warm Winter here - in the 70's for the next 10 days.

Raybo

• suncitylinda
    12 years ago

Thanks Ray, I thought that was the case. I supplement also but I am going to use at least 1 cup organic mixed in and two cups in the strip. I may use more since the Garden Tone I have is something like 3s and 4s for everything. Cant remember if its 4-3-3 or vice versa. Going to be a great week here too, in the 80s!!! I planted out early March last year but we all had such bad spring storms I am planning on late March thru April staggered plant out. Probably will plant a Moskvitch and maybe SunGold earlier. LInda

• hummersteve
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Its amazing how bat and seabird guano can very depending on what part of the world it comes from. For the first time this year I have been testing Peruvian Seabird guano on my over winter cuttings , 12-11-2 . Following is an excerpt from wiki on the two, most interesting point being in the last line that fert. value of seabird being more than bat because of the leaching effect in caves. I used a little less than a tsp in this 6" pot. but be careful when using this stuff its quite potent . Different plants will react differently and could burn. Better to under feed than overfeed. When small amounts are important thus breaking it down into a flour makes mixing it into the soil easier and quicker to be of use.

Following the excerpt will be a photo of a cutting I normally over winter that is normally very slow to add new foilage but is now going a bit nuts. The guano comes in pellet form but I run a little thru my cheap coffee grinder to make it a powder form for quicker and more effective use. You know the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words " most effective here. Normally this plant will only have 3-4 leaves.

Seabird guano consists of nitrogen-rich ammonium oxalate and urate, phosphates, as well as some earth salts and impurities. Unleached guano from favored locales, such as the Chincha Islands off the coast of Peru, typically contains 8 to 16 percent nitrogen (the majority of which is uric acid), 8 to 12 percent equivalent phosphoric acid, and 2 to 3 percent equivalent potash.[3][4]
    The fresh excrement of insect-eating bats can have nitrogen levels
    approximating that of seabird guano and high phosphate levels, but bat
    guano typically has less fertilizing value than seabird guano from arid
    areas because its nitrogen content is more easily leached within cave
    environments.[5]

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

Bat Guano (NPK 3-10-1)

I have never used it. But looking at its NPK ratios , I think that it is not suitable for tomatoes. In my estimation tomatoes need something with 1-2-3 or 2-2-3 ratios, once are established. Early on I feed them 1-1-1 ration (granular 16-16-16) and MG 24-8 -16 (3-1-2) . Bat Guano is low both in N and K, percentage wise.JMO

Sey

• hummersteve
    8 years ago

I cant say as yet whether peruvian seabird guano 12-11-2 is proper for Tomatoes or not have not yet tried it as such. I have a feeling though that the batch I got is higher in phosphorus than nitro though in spite of the NPK on the bag. I do a lot of cuttings inside over winter and here is one example of said cutting going rather nuts. I count 18 blooms on this stem with more to come.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Bat Guano, with 3-10-1 analysis ( aside from being organic) does not have much fertilizing power. It is just high in P, that might be good for flowering plans.

From what I know, tomatoes need something high in potassium (K). and early on in the season (before fruiting) needs good amount of Nitrogen (N).

So I think BG can be supplemented along with other fertilizers.

Sey

• hummersteve
    7 years ago

I have used peruvian seabird guano 12-11-2 with excellent results in container plants. I like to mix it in the medium first to get best results. Keep in mind that some plants might be sensitive to this strong stuff and it is strong. If put in small pots 4-6" pots use no more than 1/2 tspn . Only add more accordingly. Also dont expect overnight results but in 2-3 weeks you could notice quite a change.

• hummersteve
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Heres a better photo of my amistad using seabird guano , nearly perfect. Even though it says its 12-11-2 I think the phosphorous is even higher considering the evidence. As they say the proof is in the pudding.