Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
time for tomatoes to ripen

Posted by lroberge 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 10:05

Dear friends, Can you provide for me the average time it takes for a tomato to ripen from the time of blossom until picking?
I know the time for a green pepper to ripen and change color is 20 days...but, I am uncertain about tomatoes and would like to understand this to calculate time to the "big tomato" harvest.

Should I reduce watering to speed up ripening?

Please help.
Thank you.
Lawrence

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: time for tomatoes to ripen

Tomato Timeline from fruit set to ripening. You can reduce watering to improve flavor but it doesn't really speed up ripening.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Timeline

o
RE: time for tomatoes to ripen

Just noting that the timeline Dave linked to was done by Paul, who used to be here at GW and uploaded all of the new FAQ's that seveal of us wrote and cleared with the then memebers who were here at that time, in fact solicited their opinions on what should be included and what not to be included.

You can find his name at the bottomof several of the Faq's we did such as How To Prevent Cross Pollination, the Foliage one and now I can't remember the others and if I go back to look I lose this post. LOL

I miss Paul very much and never had his contact data so don't know what he's doing these days.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here