Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdon_gw

Is Anna Russian normally such a pipsqueak?

Cdon
11 years ago

On 1/30 I sewed seeds for Jaune Flamee, Stupice, and Anna Russian, with the idea they would be my early season tomatoes, going out on 3/15 in the Coldframe/Hotbed. Everything germinated in 5-10 days, and now are getting their first true leaves. However, I noticed all the Anna Russian seedlings are only 1/2 the size of the Jaune Flamee and Stupice. Seriously, they are around 1/2 an inch tall and both leaves of the cotyledon is 1/2 inch wide.

A week later, I sewed some Mortgage Lifter as a "safety" as I just happened to have seeds laying around. These later MLs have also surpassed the earlier planted AR.

In fairness, I do seem to recall the AR seeds being much smaller than the JF, Stu, & ML seeds - and the AR took about 8-10 days to sprout whereas the rest were up in 5-7 days. Still, the AR just look so tiny with the puny little stem & all!

So my question is, is this normal with AR? Has anyone else grown AR and experienced the same?

Comments (8)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I've grown all the one you mention in your post, including Anna Russian.

No, I wouldn't say it's a pipsqueak, but since it has the wilty look to it which is exaggerated with youg seedlings, I mean the wispy nature of the foliage which many hearts have, perhaps that's what you're referring to.

No, I don't think it has anything to do with seed size since most cherry tomatoes as well as most hearts also have small seeds. In addition I know of two folks who have tested out seed size, taking freshly fermented seeds of a couple of varieties and dividing them into three seed sizes, throwing away the flat white immature ones, and have seen no difference in seed viability or vigor of seedlings.

About the only variable left is seed age, older seeds sometimes take longer to germinate and growth can be slower.

Carolyn

• euarto_gullible
    11 years ago

Where did you get the seed?

• Cdon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carolyn - after I posted, I read elsewhere the "wispy" nature of oxhearts. Perhaps that is it. All I can definitively say is that AR looks very different from the rest of the varieties, in that is is only 1/2 to 1/3 of the size.

It could be old seed. Of the 20 seeds I sewed, only 5 or 6 germinated. By comparison id say 75% of all the seeds for other varieties germinated.

Assuming it is old seed, and thus, slowed growth, is that something that stays with it its whole life, or does it "grow out of it" & start behaving normally after a while?

Euarto - Hirt's Seeds. I found them on Amazon.com when I was ordering the automatic opening arm for my coldframe.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Assuming it is old seed, and thus, slowed growth, is that something that stays with it its whole life, or does it "grow out of it" & start behaving normally after a while?
    $$$$$$$

No, fresh saved seed from fruits from this season behave normally as long as they are processed correctly, which for me means fermentation

&&&&&&

Euarto - Hirt's Seeds. I found them on Amazon.com when I was ordering the automatic opening arm for my coldframe.

Hirts is not a company I trust when it comes to seeds. There are so many wonderful small family run seed vendors that you might want to look at and a search here will bring up those threads,

Even if the seed pack from Hirts, or any other place says packed by______ that's useless information b'c it only tells you when the seeds were packed, not when they were produced,

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

• sidhartha0209
    10 years ago

First year growing (2) Anna Russian plants and I'm very impressed with the productivity and the flavor; excellent tomato flavor here. Size of fruits vary from large down to small, I like that too. I ordered these plants but I'm saving seed to plant at least a half dozen next year.

I'm actually growing three varieties of hearts, Anna Russian, Kosovo, and Orange Oxheart, all three as young plants were 'wispy' and sickly looking, but you'd never guess that now! All three are very vigorous plants.

Kosovo is not nearly as productive (or tasty imo) as Anna; Orange Oxheart producing nearly as good as Anna but not as tasty, seems to bit a bit on the mealy side imo.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I've also grown Anna Russian a couple of times, and although they have the classic wispy looking foliage, they shouldn't be as small as you say. My plants were fairly large and productive, and semi-early as most hearts are.

• sidhartha0209
    10 years ago

"...they shouldn't be as small as you say..."

Variableness in fruit size only, from large to small.

"... My plants were fairly large and productive, and semi-early as most hearts are...."

Ditto

This post was edited by sidhartha0209 on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 4:12

• sharonrossy
    10 years ago

I'm growing AR for the first time and its given me fits. It was my smallest of seedlings, now it's quite large, over 6 ft, but it took a long time to set blossoms and only now starting to set fruit. I'm holding my breath. On top of that we had a storm last week and one of the stems broke. I thought it would be one of my earlier tomatoes, but its not even close.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH