Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryann45

When will 2014 tomato seeds be available for sale

maryann45
11 years ago

When will tomato seed websites have seeds available for 2014? I want to put it on my calendar so I can purchase when selection is good.

Comments (5)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

It varies with the seed vendor.

Seeds produced this summer of 2013 , that is new ones, will start appearing in catalogs/websites in early Fall up to even Feb of 2014.

If you could list the tomato seed places you're thinking of I have a good idea of when the more popular places get their 2014 catalogs/websites out.

But the bulk of their listings will be what they already have, so if you know what you want now, and just not new ones you could order now.

Carolyn

• maryann45
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, I am interested in Cherokee Purple, Arkansas Traveler and Black from Tula. I have started this year's crop, I just want to know when the seeds for next year will be available.

• containerted
    11 years ago

Many seed vendors wait until they get thru their current growing season so that they can assess how many varieties they have to offer in the coming year. So, here in the northern hemisphere, that falls between end of August and, say, Thanksgiving. New catalogs and updates to websites are not completed until around Christmas - some before and some later.

I would recommend you start on your grow list for next year now. Collect seeds all thru the summer for next year's garden. Save a little room on your list for new things to be offered at the last moment. Tomato and pepper seeds can last for several years, even with only fair storage conditions. A little planning takes out most of the stress and adds to the enjoyment.

Ted

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I am interested in Cherokee Purple, Arkansas Traveler and Black from Tula.

None of those are new varieties. Those are all available any time of year.

Tomato seeds are viable for decades so there is no reason to wait for what you think might be "fresh" seeds. Odds are they will be 2-3 year old seeds in 2014 packets and you wouldn't get fresh anyway.

When a seed pack says "packed for 2013" it doesn't mean they were just grown last year. That they were "just harvested" is a common misconception often discussed here.

Dave

• ryseryse_2004
    11 years ago

I continue to plant seeds of two of these and many more that I collected in 2001. I keep thinking I should replenish my stock and will this year (yeh.) but they continue to germinate just as well as they did when they were first collected.

If you save your seeds (completely dried) in zip lock baggies in a regrig. they will last a very long time. Or even if you don't. Remember, many of these seeds we grow now were brought over by the pilgrims and they didn't have zip lock baggies or refrigeration. BTW, I also plant perennials/other veggies that I have saved for decades. Each is a little embryo that wants to be a life. They don't die easily.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery