Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil temperature for seedlings

Posted by gardengolfer GA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 10:54

When starting heirloom seed under lights, what is the optimum soil temperature to shoot for after the seedlings have developed the first true leaves?

Larry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil temperature for seedlings

• Posted by cirtes U%3A10 - S%3A21 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 11:00

For productive root growth, these are guides from several textbooks and professors in the agriculture department at Pierce College.

Acceptable range: 50 - 80 F
Optimal range: 65 - 75 F

o

Soil temp is only relevant to germination. After germination it is air temps that are important for growing on.

Ambient temps of 60-65 degrees. You can go a bit cooler but try to avoid going much warmer than that. For optimal growth when growing young seedlings in the greenhouse we work very hard to keep it in the 60-65 degree range and to avoid anything above 70.

Dave

o

I agree with Dave. Over 65 will increase internode length.

o

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. I should not have any problem holding 60 to 65.

Larry

o

I have my temperatures in the 65 range and my tomato and pepper plants have purple stems and veins within the leaves. How do I correct that problem while keeping the temperature within the range?

o

Based on my experience and readings, purple stems and veins are not a problem at this stage but rather a normal physiological phenomenon. I have never started seedlings that were not purple in some part or other and I raise nice plants both hybrid and open pollinated. Don't worry.
Victor

o

Yeah trying to correct that will only create other, more serious problems.

Dave

o

Awesome. Thank you. Would cold soils cause stunted growth as well or is that a different department all together. I'm feeding weekly with diluted fish fertilizer. 8-6-6 25% strength. Thoughts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here