Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nekbet

What is this tomato?

nekbet
10 years ago

I'm growing them hydroponically. I took a cutting from an outdoor plant last end-of-summer... I don't remember what seed I planted back then.. it was from a big box store like Home depot or such I am sure.. so nothing exciting probably.

Grape?

thanks

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Varieties can't be identified just from appearance so there is no way to know. It could be any one of 50 varieties. Just eat it and enjoy and don't worry about what it 'might' be.

Dave

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

If you think it's not a hybrid, you could save seeds from the current fruit and plant them. See the FAQs linked on the Growing Tomatoes Forum page for how to save tomato seeds.

You could also go to the big box stores in your area and look at the seeds they're selling this year. Maybe the same envelope that looked enticing last winter will catch your eye this year.

Or you could continue to plant cuttings.

• nekbet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good points. I think I have 3 plants with these cuttings...

Once I figure out the yield I'll see if it is worth saving. RIght now they're in a colder than wanted (65-67 during day) basement, and they've taken nearly 90 days to give 10-15 tomatoes... with about 30 more on the plant now. Seems slow.