Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
just a few tomatoes for hot dry days, cold nights??

Posted by angmnelson 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 12:22

Hi there--
I am having much trouble narrowing down my tomato list. I would like to grow heirlooms but have not had good luck with them so far. Cherokee purple, brandywine were failures (one or two tomatoes that didn't ripen), green zebra produced but didn't like, san marzano and costulato genovese produced well but had to pick them green and bring them inside. An OP "early cherry" I tried produced but was fairly tasteless.

So what I want is something that will produce well, actually ripen, and TASTE AMAZING in my conditions!

I have room for 4 or 5 varieties: 1 or 2 cherry, 1or 2 "regular type", and 1 paste. The one tomato I have grown that I really love is "Sungold"--if that tells you anything about our taste preferences! From my own reading, I am thinking of trying Stupice. Other than that, I'm just overwhelmed by choices!!!

I live in eastern washington. Summers are usually dry, nights are typically cold (50-60 degrees typical).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: just a few tomatoes for hot dry days, cold nights??

Sweet 100 cherries have always been exceptional for me. Huge production and super sweet.

o

I second sweet 100's!
But you need to find out why so many of your varieties are not doing well at all.

o

angmnelson, I'm wondering why you had to pick San Marzano and Costoluto Genovese green and bring them inside.

How long is the growing season? (If you're not sure, ask your county's Cooperative Extension office: WA Extension offices.) Did you set the plants out too late for fruit to mature on the vine? Did it take too long for the plant to set fruit? Was the weather unusually uncooperative?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here