Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorabell_gw

Seek no further and Biaglioqianfeng

lorabell_gw
11 years ago

I am hoping to find some info on these two tomatoes, just a bit of general info as I can't find anything on search. Cherry or large, In or Det, Yellow or Black. Anything would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Heather distributed seeds for Seek No Further Love Apple in her annual seed exchange here and elsewhere and perhaps that's where you got it from. But the orignal person who distributed seeds sent to quite a few folks exclusive of Heather's seed exchange.

The person who donated the seeds to Heather posts elsewhere and there's a long thread delving into the past history of it and we're getting close.

I'm not allowed to transfer a thread here, or get banned, but it's a large pink indet variety.

I can't speak to the other one and I assume you've googled it, and looked at Tania's webpage, etc., already

Carolyn

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Biaglioqianfeng? Assuming that is it's real name and that it is spelled correctly, pulls up nothing on any of the common tomato bases. That seriously calls into question the validity of the name.

Sounds Chinese, perhaps Vietnamese as Qian Feng is a fairly common Vietnamese name..

What was the source of the seed?

Dave

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

From checking at one of those sites that can't be linked to or named:

Seek-No-Further Love Apple: 5-14 oz. pink beefsteak. RL indet; very tall vine. Average production, little cracking. Great and/or mild flavor. [I didn't see anything about "large," but I didn't read the threads word-for-word.]

For Biaglioqianfeng, how about Baiguoqiangfeng instead? AI instead of IA; LI = U; and the missing G.
    http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Baiguoqiangfeng
    [There is also a re-direct from Baiguo Qiangfeng.]

You can thank Tatiana for including the "Tomatoes by Origin" list.

[Nothing in Ventmarin -- or the database that can't be named -- for either one.]

• lorabell_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK

Thanks so much for the help...

I received the seeds in exchanges...and so am enjoying growing varieties that I've never even heard of before... but got stuck on those two. I'm thinking 'seek no further' won't be going in a container on my porch!ha

Appreciate it...Laura

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Missing, here's the rest of the info from the post you quoted from and I sure do believe that 14 oz is large, and some fruits up to one pound.

Early in the season and late in the season there are often fruits of smaller size, such as the 5 oz referred to.

And elsewhere in the same thread is was said that it was believed to be a more correct strain of Missouri PInk Love Apple, I think by Dell, and I'd heard the same from a couple of PM's sent to me.

(("Seek-No-Further Love Apple" is a pink (clear skin) beefsteak on an indeterminate, regular leaf plant. A few years ago, one plant of S-N-F L A was the tallest plant I've ever had in my garden (8 ft). Plant height, though, is as variable as the weather. Some years it only gets to 5 1/2 ft. Branching is narrow, compared to most of the varieties I've tried.

Fruit size is 5-14 ounces, a very few to 1 lb, my largest was 20 ounces. I've never seen a fused-blossom fruit, so maybe it can get substantially larger. The shape is a typical beefsteak, an oblate (flattened) spheroid. It is usually fairly smooth. Often there is one ridge/fin running from the shoulders toward the blossom end. Overall, it is the meatiest tomato I've ever trialed, although this varies from tomato to tomato. One tomato in 2011 had heavy stitching. Saved seed from this tomato produced tomatoes mostly with moderate stitching. Therefore, I recommend only saving seed from the smoothest fruit.The interior has the darkest red locules (gel areas) that I've ever seen in any variety. Production, for me, has always been average, never very high, nor very low. About 15-25 tomatoes on a plant. In 2012's heat, it far outproduced all of my very large beefsteak types. 2012 also had the worst tomato splitting I've ever had in my garden. S-N-F L A only had a few 1/4" stem cracks, with no splitting anywhere else on the surface.

Flavor (my experience and opinion) is unique among many, many, hundreds (about 1,000) of tomatoes I've tasted, with no other tomato being close to this flavor. I've tasted only a few tomatoes that have a flavor all-their-own. Examples are Prue, Aunt Gertie's Gold, and Sungold. The best way I can describe this tomato is that it is tangy. Now, other tomatoes I put in the tangy category have both a sweetness I can taste, and a tartness I can taste, blending into an overall tanginess. With S-N-F L A , I cannot detect any sweetness, nor any tartness, just the balanced tanginess. I consider it having a full, rich, but not complex, flavor. It was the best tasting tomato in my garden in 2012. I've only given seeds to about 10 people in the past few years. And, I've only had one report back on its flavor. The report was that it was the best tasting in their garden, for that year. It is one, of only two, tomatoes that has never disappointed me with its taste, over many growing seasons. The other tomato is Sungold, but even "Sungold" disappointed me once (when it was an imposter). Every other tomato variety I've tried has been a dud, one time or another. So far, extreme weather (hot, cold, wet, dry) has had no effect on its flavor.

I will add that I use the lowest amounts of nitrogen fertilizer, and the longest gaps between watering that I can get away with, and still have relatively healthy plants. Also, my garden soil likely has a pH of about 5.0-5.5. So, as for its taste in other gardens, "your mileage may vary".

Part 2 will be on the history/mystery of this tomato. ))

Carolyn

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Thank you, Carolyn. I wasn't sure if GW's PTB might object to direct quotations.

I think of tomatoes in four size categories: small, medium, large, and cherry. I tend to think of "large" as, on average, a pound or more. Just my way of looking at it.

Lorabell, for porch tomatoes you might try one of the dwarf varieties. (Two Husky Cherry Reds were a manageable size on my small front porch last year -- narrow habit -- with plenty of red fruit. Stood up fairly well to the Late Blight, too. Just standard cherry flavor, but enthusiasm and productivity made up for that ... particularly once I began thinking of them as a pair of decorative shrubs and gave the fruit away.)

• hp_MA6b
    11 years ago

If googling 'Bai guo qiang feng' tomato instead of Baiguoqiangfeng, you will get more results. I believe it's a chinese pink variety available at the attached link (in UK?).

Hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: seed store in UK?

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm