Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your 'Must Grow' Tomato

Posted by susan2010 6 Massachusetts (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 12:44

I'm looking for one or two new varieties to grow this year and thought I might get inspiration by asking what tomato you would grow if you could only have one variety?

I'd be torn, too, but I think mine would be (so far) Cherokee Purple.

Yours?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your 'Must Grow' Tomato

That is a pretty good call. I hear they like heat and humidity. Zone 6.....why not. My one tomato that I would like to grow well out of the 20 or so varieties is a toss up between Omar's Lebanese(had no idea Carolyn),Mortage Lifter, Delicious, and once again Pink German Tree. Last year, I grew a 2.5 pound German Tree tomato. Now she has competition. So much for the one. All before mentioned germinated a week ago. Now, what about my energy level, because these cats are not going to wait for long.

Take care,
Travis

o

If I could have only one? Rutgers.

Dave

o

I know I wear it out but Estlers Mortgage Lifter works for me. The big pink(lol)globes softball size and bigger hanging in a row on ten plants across my garden in August simply look beautiful. They really seem to like the heavy clay soil. Course I have gardened there for forty yrs and the soil has good tilth now. Plenty of others I like of course and I will prob have 10-15 varieties this yr along with 7-8 other veggies in the 40x40 side yd plot. I raise early stuff on the other side of the house. Cant wait! I just came in from the driveway where I spent hour or so in the sun mixing the 5-1-1 for container plants. I've got cabin fever early.

o

Sungold for me.

o

I can only talk about what I have grown and tasted so far, italian heirloom from Tomatofest was awesome along with 1884 and Chocolate Stripes which is amazing.

o

Black Krim would be my choice. Pretty early, prolific, taste great, beautiful

o

Because I have a looooong hot summer and these two produce through the summer heat until frost.

Sungold

Juliet

o

WI 55 for me.

o

Black Krim for sure. This will be my first year growing tomatoes in containers in over 10 years. Hopefully my thumb has gotten greener since then. My Black Krims in the garden were amazing last summer.

o

• Posted by KCKook KC is now zone 6 app (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 22:28

I used to live in Sacramento, the tomato capital ;)
What grew there doesn't do as well here in KC, MO. I thought I was an awesome gardener but had a rude awakening when I moved to KC. lol

I have grown 20+ varieties here in different places, mainly in containers on the patio or in a covered hoophouse. Tomatoes just don't do as well here as Sacramento, even if grown in the ground outdoors.
What I'd grow again - Arkansas traveler (was awesome), Black Cherry & Sungold (both are always good). This year I'm growing 20+ varieties and those are the 3 I must have.

o

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 22:57

KCKook,
How long have you been here in KC?

The reason I ask is because I've grown here in containers for several years. If you're basing your your opinion on the last couple of growing seasons, I understand.

2010 was not a good year for tomatoes (for me), and 2011 was horrible. 2011 started unusually cool and wet, then promptly went to blazing hot and unusually dry for this area.

What keeps me going is remembering 2009. That was a great year. I had more healthy fruit than I could keep up with. I learned how to can just to not waste the extras.

Welcome to the area and here's to another great season.

o

Rob, I also live in the kc area (Oak Grove). What variaties of heirlooms do well for you. I'm going try them for the first time in 10 and 15gallon smart pots on the deck.. I stated with 7 and have 20 plants ordered now.lmao

o

I second "Cherokee Purple" and third "Black Krim"!
"Brandy Boy" is quite good, too - good yield on healthy plant with great taste.

o

"Kellogg's Breakfast" (No relation whatsoever to the cereal company.)

Scrumptious orange beefsteaks with very few seeds--mainly flesh. Two summers ago we had one that was well over two pounds!

o

Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 12:47

Augiedog,

The varieties that consistently do best for me are Cherokee Purple, Ark. Traveler and Black Krim.

My space is limited (I also grow hot peppers on the patio) so I can only try a couple of new ones each season. Cuostralee and Eva Purple Ball have produced fairly well for me.

There are some varieties I've grown with great flavor, but such low production that I can't waste the space: Aunt Gerties Gold, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Yellow Brandywine,etc.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 18:29

Mine is Stump of the World.
Remy

o

KCKOOK- I live in wisconsin which is cooler and a later spring than where you are. I grow all sorts of veggies and my tomato plants regularly get to 7 ft. and are full of toms. try again and good luck. Hmmmmm, my favorites are Mortgage lifter, german giant, and brandywine. Really I have hard time with this as I try new varieties every year, lol

o

This is coming from someone who realy doesn't care for tomatoes off the vine so I rely on others who I grow plants for to give me feedback on what they like. My goal is to start plants that friends can enjoy the fruits from and to supply my wife with tomatoes for juicing. She juices about 100 quarts a year. That makes me want to plant a fairly seedless yet juicy good size tomato. I have come to find that my wife probably cannot tell good tomato flavor from bad as she spices and sugars her juice before consuming. I always plant 6-7 varieties mixing in new ones each year and ask for comments. New this year will be Marianna Peace and Opalka.
I have grown Delicious, Big & Better Boy, Early Girl, Celebriy, Big Mama, Porterhouse, Super Marman.., Kelloggs Breakfast, Box Car Willie, Nyagous, Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, Rutgers, Supersteak, Big Beef, Roma, Beefmaster, Mexico, Jubilee and more that I can't remember.

Cherokee Purple seems to get rave reviews every year from those who like tomatoes. It also was an outstanding producer for my wife's juice.

This is also going to be the first season I saved seeeds from my heirlooms; CP, KB & Nyagous. People who I gave Nyagous to really like the suprising sweetness of this black tomato. Though only about 5 ounces, it also was like by my wife for the way it peeled after cooking.

o

Rob,

This will be my third year trying to grow anything here in KC. I'm not giving up...yet.
The last 2 years really SUCKED. Last year was HORRIBLE. Even Sungold, Black Cherry, Ark Traveler & Cherokee Purple didn't do much. Most of my tomatoes were started way late due to the cold spring & grown in a hoophouse so when the heat hit in Aug. they completely stopped producing, before that only Cherokee P. produced much. Those planted outdoors in the ground didn't do well AT ALL. I've also had no luck with my homemade earthboxes. Like I said, I thought I was a great gardener as tomatoes just grow in Sacramento.

This year I'll be growing them at my friend's farm (hoophouse and in ground), at a friend's backyard (in ground) and also trying again containers on my patio. All are organic - but pests weren't the problem, the weather was! BER & just a weird scalding was everywhere.

If I don't get good results this year I think I'll just give up.

Wizard,

When in Sacramento my indeterminates grown in an EB would easily top a 6' cage, hit the ground & go back up. The vines of some, like Sungold, could be 14' long. That variety is huge. :)

o

KCKook: "BER & just a weird scalding was everywhere."

You sure the 'scalding' wasn't stink bug damage?

As far as the one tomato I would grow, that's really tough, but, I think I'd go with Cherokee Purple / Indian Stripe.

o

Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 12:47

KCKook & Augiedog55,

Perhaps we should start a "growing in The KC area thread".

o

rob, go to kctomatotimes.wordpress.com. i'm buying my tomato plant from James. Its a very interesting site and read through his blogs. the tomato tasting gathering i'm definately going to for my first time this yr.

o

A must grow for me would be something I'd not grown before. This year it would be Burpee's "Sweet Tangerine."
-WC2K8

o

Cherokee Purple used to be a must grow for me, but the last couple of years it hasn't done well. Now my favorite overall is Kellogg s Breakfast.

o

I also like Nyageous, which is listed as a late variety but did fine in our less than warm summer of 2011. Am looking for the Variety Purple Russian which is reputed to be earlier and pretty good.

o

Big Rainbow from tomatofest. I estimated that we picked probably 200 tomatoes from a single plant. The largest was 2.1 pounds. Sweet and delicious. I dehydrated slices and with concentration they took on an apricot flavor.

o

Thanks, everyone, for all the great ideas. I wish I had enough room to grow them all!

o

tsheets, it was definitely sun scald - it was just so hot here last year in Aug my poor 'maters had all sorts of problems.

Rob - I think I'll start the "growing in KC" thread - I need all the help I can get here!

o

brown berry

o

NCdirt,

I grew brown berry last year. I traded seed a couple years ago - it was one variety, and finally grew it last year in a *really* bad tomato year. It was VERY similar to Black Cherry, a bit smaller and more brown, but really good. I'd definitely grow it again.

o

Mortgage Lifter is always a favorite, or any of the other heirloom beefsteaks.

o

Rutgers has produced well in hot, humid direct sun.

o

picking one tomato is like trying to pick one Pink Floyd song...its a gut wrencher........but Mortgage Lifter would be it.....Mr Estler,s big pink...lol.

o

Since I grow for me and my family, we have a few "must grow" tomatoes so far:

For me, it's Neves Azorean Red

For my wife, it's Marianna's Peace

For my dad, it's Rutgers... Although after trying Opalka, that may be another.

o

My favorite for many years has been Kellogg's Breakfast, is great right from the vine and makes great yellow tomato butter (better than apple butter).

o

• Posted by cziga Zone 5 -Toronto (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 16:31

I grew a whole bunch of pink tomatoes last summer to try to pick my favorite ... I'm with Remy, "Stump of the World" was the best of the lot. Large plant, productive, large fruit, so juicy and tasty. Really easy to peel, actually. Good for eating fresh in a sandwich or salad, good for peeling/roasting/cooking with, good for salsa.

Lots of tomatoes were distributed to friends and family last summer, most had different top 3 choices, but Stump of the World was on each one of them, somewhere.

o

Pink (potato leaf) Brandywine

o

Watermelon Beefsteak - red
Aunt Ruby's German Green - green
Persimmon - orange
Sweet 100s- red cherry
Brandywine OTV - pink
Black or Black from Tula - black
Chocalate Stripes - dark red meat w/ red and green striped skin

I have not grown Black Krim, Cherokee Purple of Sun Gold, but these seem to be very popular here on the forum.

o

I always grow several varieties, both hybrid and heirloom, but my old standby that I grow every year is Rutgers. It's reasonably disease resistant, and has old fashioned, tart tomato flavor.
John A

o

That is a great question. I am in fact on a quest to determine that very thing. It would have to taste great, be relatively productive, be good as a slicer, do adequetly as a bottling tomato, and make sauces well enough. It would also have to be resistant to cracking cause I have sandy soils. It would also probably need to be resistant to disease. I originally started out looking for the best tasting tomato. I found it in Merrianna's Peace. Problem is that my seed grow plants that have low yeilds. I could see black Krim because I love their sugary yet comlex earthy flavor, but I have problems with disease in those. Cherokee purple is a solid producer of good flavored tomatoes, a good producer, and I have little problems with disease in them. Its a good all purpose tomato but I like the taste of other varieties more. Brandywine OTV would be a solid choice because they are relatively productive and have good flavor. Good for slicing, but they are not the best for bottling because they turn into juice slurry. They also don't really make good sauces (too thin). The best bottling tomato for my area are the moscows. They produce a bumper crop of smooth 2 inch tomatoes that come ripe all at once. They have good flavor too, but I like an indeterminant better. I really liked Italian Heirloom last year. It had very good flavor as a slicer (not the best but close), and they can make sauces well, bottle well and are relatively productive. So that would be my choice for an all around general purpose tomato if I could only chose one.

o

Matina for a fast potato leaf variety
Neve's Azorean Red
Ferline for blight resistance
Bloody Butcher

o

my best producer last year and a big all around winner each season lately?

Amazon Chocolate.
not sure why but in productivity,health and flavor this has been a real standout for me.

zone 6b - middle Tennessee

o

I have limited experience with different varieties of tomatoes, but I think my answer must be Brandy Boy. I didn't grow it last year and I really missed those plentiful, tasty, huge tomatoes.

I am also growing Hungarian Heart from the Seed Saver's Exchange, as it grew wonderfully for me last year. I am trying, for the first time, Burpee's Porterhouse. I hope that one turns out good.

Since I am doing my best to avoid disease, I am growing mostly hybrids. So my short list for this year is Porterhouse, Brandy Boy, Big Zac, and Hungarian Heart. I believe the only one that may not be a hybrid is Hungarian Heart.

Good luck!

o

Used to be Brandywine, but I quit growing Brandywine altogether. Brandy Boy has taken it's place. I drastically downsized my garden last year and needed to be very selective about what varieties I chose and Brandy Boy made the cut over Brandywine. They are too similar to grow both. Of course, Brandywine is a bit more intense regarding flavor, but not enough to outweigh the higher production and plant vigor of Brandy Boy.

o

One tomato. Sheesh, tough question.

I'd say Opalka. It's the only tomato that I've grown year to year for the past 5 years. I guess that means I like it right?

Opalka by far has been the most consistent production with the weather year to year for me with great, great flavor. Its easy to process, and is excellent fresh for eating and roasting.
I love it. It's also great diced for fresh eating on salads, and canned for making sauces and soups.
I've grown Aunt Ruby German, Black Brandywine, Black Krim, Black Plum, Super Marzano, Amish Paste, Margherita, Japanese Black Trifele, Defiant and Cherokee Purple. Every year, I far and away love the taste of the Opalka more than any other I've tried in my garden. Many of the above have something unique or something good about them with great flavor, or another with yield, but are lacking in other ways. Opalka for me at least has it all.

o

Guess I'm one of the few who prefers the multitude of sweet fruit off a yellow pear or sweet 100 cherry tom. This was last June, before much fruit set, then I got 600+ cherrys. So sweet, so easy to cook with.

o

For me, Black Krim and Beefsteak ( beefsteak works the best for tomato pie that I
have grown) for my sister Cherokee purple and German gold.
I think I have a problem, I started my seeds today, and looked at the seeds, looked at my 4 raised and one kitchen garden and built another raised bed. Is that bad? LOL. You see I am going to start the 'tomato rescue group' when I go to feed stores and they have marked all their plants down to .50. and they are blooming and root bound, they just follow me home. I told my sister it was that or kittens. I think I am going to go take a nap.

o

I try new varieties every year, but Pink Brandywine is the only one I've planted every year, simply because it's the gold standard of tomatoes for me.

o

For me it Opalka. Its just the best all around tomato, it makes great sauce, is easy to peel for freezing, has very little seeds, tastes great fresh, and grows wonderfully for me.

I always grow a black and a green slicer for variety, but the bulk of my crop is Opalka.

o

I prefer beefsteaks.

Photobucket

o

Tylenol are you sure those are not Bloody Butcher? I want to grow THOSE!

o

Cherokee Purple and Pale Perfect Purple are favorites. If I could have only one, PPP because Cherokee Purple is a little more fragile (rots if a worm eats a little hole in it). I also like the big pink beefsteaks so it would be hard not to have a few of those, but they come later in the summer and are treats not mainstays.

o

Red/Pink: Eva Purple Ball

Orange: KBX

Cherry: Torn between Sunglod and black cherry

Paste: Still waiting for something to wow me

Black: Black Krim

Green: Aunt Rubys German Green

o

Pruden's Purple - awesome taste & out performs Brandywine in my garden
San Marzano - great for cooking & very productive
Cherokee Purple - great taste
Jaune Flamme - yummy little tomato for salads & sandwiches that ripens long before the others

o

Tylenol are you sure those are not Bloody Butcher?

Yeah -- doesn't look at all like the usual photos of Aunt Gertie's Gold.

o

Black From Tula

o

As one not blessed with good tomato-growing weather, I'm a fan of both Black from Tula and Sungold, though, after last year, I've decided to change out Sungold for Isis Candy Cherry from Tomatofest -- it was by far the best of the cherries I grew last year, and more productive, too.

Last year, Tula was the only non-cherry I got reasonable levels of production from. (Indeed, I got no production at all from several plants, with this damnable La Nina around.)

o

Green Zebra and Black Zebra -- love the tangy-sweet taste and striking appearance (especially when paired with other tomatoes).

o

Love this thread! So far I really like Black Krim and Sungold. Last year I also tried Momotaro (apparently the #1 tomato in Japan). Strangely it started off rather bad, but then the fruit got better and better until by the end of the season it was really tasty though the skins were a tad thick.

This year I'm trying some new ones like Black Cherry, Odoriko and Bloody Butcher. Will see how they go! I have a real weakness for tomato seedlings. Going to the farmer's market is a struggle as there are new ones begging to go home every week. I just don't have enough room!!

o

I love Black Krim, but can never get more than one or two to set per bush, if I'm lucky. Usually none.

Nothing heirloom sets here, unfortunately.

o

I would like to change my vote to Cherokee Purple from Pink (potato leaved) Brandywine.

o

Opalka was great in sauce, salsa, just for adding a bit of tomato flavor to a supper dish. Easy to peel, few seeds or juice, just a rich taste with no bitterness. Funniest looking tomato, everyone thought it was a pepper!

o

Planted 16 plants last of May. Had some early fruit set but few ripened until after the 6 weeks of extreme heat. Had more blooms and fruit as the temps normalized making for very late harvest.

My first year for Black Krim and now is my favorite.

Cherokee Purple and Kellogg Breakfast had few fruit. Big Beef for slicers and is still producing several each day. BB has been a prolific producer for me for 3 years.

o

All of the opinions on Juliets mentioned that they were extremely prolific. So far that seems to be the case.

o

Second the motion on Big Beef. If I could plant only one variety that would be it. Disease resistant, always productive, big red tomatoes with excellent flavor. The perfect tomato for a BLT. Works very well for me in northern Illinois.

o

Cherokee Purple! One of the very earliest and always there til the end. Great producer and wonderful taste.

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 31, 12 at 11:20

Thank you for this thread.
Very informative.

Has anyone ever grown tomatoes from seed directly in the garden in Zone 7b? My compost grows beautiful tomato plants from seed...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

o

I grew 28 varieties this year, and from those varieties my favorites were
1.) German Lunchbox ( one of those you pluck while working in the garden and eat right off the vine, very sweet )
2.) Kentucky Pineapple, beautiful large tomatoes, yellow with red centers
3.) Bread and Salt - I swear I harvested some softball sized tomatoes from this one.
4.) Super Snow White - very very mild flavor, loved them in salads.
5.) Rutgers - just because the darn things are STILL producing tomatoes in my garden and it's November !

I grew quite a few Italians which did not do well, and black's, which I was just not a fan of.

o

Red: 'Health Kick' Over 100 off 1 plant!
Yellow: 'Lemon Boy'
Orange: 'Mr Stripey' Several over 2lbs.
Pink: 'Watermelon Beefsteak'
Green: 'Green Zebra'

o

i grew my first black krim this year, and im in love. what a great tasting tomato. yum

o

In 25 years I've never had all my tomatoes fail, but I've never grown a tomato that never failed. I would pick at least two to grow.
Until this year, I would have said Pruden's Purple, but in 2012 Pruden done me wrong. The only tomato that I can say I've always gotten production from is Black Plum, but that's not what I want on my hamburger.

o

Mr. Stripey and Green Zebra are actually on my "Must Not Grow" list. Green Zebra has been a perennial disappointment for me, so I am finally giving up the ghost. Will try Japanese Black Trifele again and definitely Sun Gold cherries.
Sharon

o

I had so many tomatoes last year that I am cutting down from 52 varieties to only 24 plants for 2013.

Here are 6 varieties that are sure to go in:

Lil's Favorite
Mr. Brown's (Not Ibson's Mr. Brown)
Golden Queen (Not the USDA one with the pinkish bottom)
Granny Cantrell's
Amish Rose
Big Beef Hybrid

The truth of the matter is I could probably not eat all the tomatoes from one each of those plants!

o

I have a few "must grows", but the most recent is the grape tomato "Sun Sugar." This variety has it all - tremendous flavor, beautiful deep orange color, cracks less often than others, easy to pick, very prolific, keeps for 10 days or more after picking without getting a single spot, produces up until freezing. I can't say enough about this one.

o

I wouldn't bother to garden for one variety. Would be almost sure to have a total failure.

I would have to grow 4: Burgundy Traveler, Mule Team, Prue, Thessaloniki.

o

1. Kellogs Breakfast
2. Brandywine (I have been planting Suddarth)

We live in prime Brandywine territory. Many people don't get much out of it because they live in climates that are too hot or humid or not long enough. Get a good strain. Zone 5-6 gardens seem to get the best results.

o

Amana Orange, Amish Paste, Heidi, Supertasty, Big Beef, Brandyboy, Sun Sugar, Blk cherry, Swt Chelsea, Earl's Faux, Earl of Edgecomb, Mountain Magic, Indian Stripe, Green Grape, Green Doctors, Chadwick Cherry, Federle, Opalka, Juane Flamme .
Every year's different but these varieties (with the exception of Earl's Faux, Federle & Opalka) are pretty consistent for me. Our summers are generally in the 90s to occasional low 100s, we're dry with cool nights (50s)

o

• Posted by tomva 7-central virginia (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 18:07

I know this one sounds crazy but I tried it for the first time last growing season and was blown away by it Cosmonaut Volkov I thought I would give it a try but figured I was wasting my time but very good producer and very good fruit, I can only imagine after saving seed for a few yrs what the plants will do then as they become more acclimated to my humble back yard, Out of the gate, the first year they blew a lot of my grow every year tomato's away

o

Last year it got tooo hot too quickly but Jaune Flamme didn't have trouble setting fruit, and kept producing until very late, so that's a definite. I'm still in the stage where I'm trying lots of varieties. (Does one ever get past that stage?)

o

Remy Rouge is a great-tasting red cherry; some call it sweet, some call it full-flavored, but the half dozen people who tried mine were all wowed by the taste. Best when fully ripe. Tough skin.

This is a very attractive plant; next year I will put it on the front porch. It was happy in a 4 gallon pot, but requires a large and strong support. After losing half its branches and most of its foliage to Late Blight, it recovered, replaced most of what had been lost, and kept setting fruit. (I trimmed the bad bits on a daily basis, but had to give up spraying due to near-constant rain.)

Buy it from Sample Seeds here:
http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=4260

Tatiana's and Sample Seeds call it det, but Ventmarin says indet. Tatiana's calls it midseason; Ventmarin says 65-75 days. Ventmarin says fruit size is up to .36 oz. and height is 6-7'. According to Ventmarin, "Remy" is an alternative name. Everyone agrees it's French.

Though not named for GW's Remy, she's the one who sells it.

o

I grew 15 different types last year and this year I am only growing Amazon Chocolates. They out produced and outlasted every other type of tomato. I had a couple of tomato plants die and replaced them with garden center plants that brought disease. The Amazon's were the last to succumb, but that wasn't until September, well past the growing season here in Houston. Hands down the best producing best tasting tomato I have ever grown. I'm planting over 200 this year hoping to sell to upscale restaurants.

o

I like Cherokee Purple flavor, and some years I get real good crops. Last year was pretty good. Sungold is great for salads and just snacking and was very prolific last year. Juliet is also prolific and relatively crack free but the flavor is not very intense. I still grow it because it is so reliable.

o

Sorry, can't provide pic......but is on Google Images.

Goldman's Italian-American. Tasty, productive, and awesome to look at !!!!!

o

Green Doctor Frosted is my new most favorite tomato for the most exquisite tomato flavor. I just finished canning some tomatoes this evening and I have to laugh at myself. Last spring I planted a green gage plum tree. I could have saved a lot of expense and trouble by growing and canning GDF instead. They look and taste very much like green gage plums and will be lovely to have for a winter breakfast. Next year I will definitely grow more. Btw, my seed came from Fedco and they were yellowish when ripe as in the photo. Later in the season turned oval like a good sized grape tomato while earlier in the season they were small and round. Curious.

o

Interesting observations:

I almost read all the posts. What I found were:

== There were some all time favorite:
......BLACK KRIM, MORTGAGE LIFTER, KELLOGS BEEF STEAK, RUTGERS, SUNGOLG, CHEROKEE PURPLE, BRANDY(SOMETHING) , OPALKA ...

== Did not here some of the famouse names: STPICE, BLOODY BUTCHER, SUN SUGAR, SWEET 100, EARLY GIRL, CELEBRITY, BIG BOY,

== And lastly, but very interesting obvervation: PEOPLE TALKED ALL ABOUT THEIR FAVORITS AND WHAT THEY WILL PLANT pre season... but NOBODY CAME BACK TO REPORT HOW THEIR PICKS DID.

Somehow we like to talk about it in anticipation, but rarely want to admit that our choice was a bad one....our failure

I have opened a similar thread myself, talking about NEXT year's choice. It remains to be seen that I will report how badly I failed.

o

Golden Jubilee is my favorite and then Sungold. I had about 100 Sungolds on my plant before it died early. Probably too much rain.

o

I had a previous post in this thread. But this time around came across it just by incident. So , once again I read most of the posts.

What I found out was somrthing that re enforced my decision to add the followings to my 2015 grow list:

== Kellogg's Breakfast (Yellow )
== Brandy Boy ; A Burpee hybrid but I have read raved reviews on it. Got to try it.
== Rutgers : An all time favorite. I grew it about 5 years ago once. I cannot remember specifics but it was tasty, medium size.
== Indian strip: This is also going to be an addition to my brown/purple tomatoes. Cherokee Purple and Japanese Black Trifele are already in my list . I grew both of them this past season.

Okee Dokee. In another couple of months (in Feb) I will start germinating. I have all the seeds I want except the ones mentioned above.

Seysonn

o

For me my list seems to grow each year.

Cherokee Purple is on the top of that list.

Next is Black Prince it is a great early producer. It just does not like extreme heat. I had no problem with making a cutting of the healthy part, and rooting it. Once the heat wave broke it was transplanted, and I got a nice fall crop of them.

Mr. Stipey is up there on the list because they were so tasty.

Creole Hybrid produced well, and tasted good.

Bush Goliath gets most prolific of the slicers. I lost count of the tomatoes I harvested off of it. They were very good.

Yellow Pear it survived the heat. Produced when everything else quit. It was oblivious to septoria. For every branch it lost 3 more grew out. Many pounds of the little yellow things were harvested. They tasted best when left to ripen to a slight orangeish color.

o

San Marzano Redorta

o

OK. If I had to grow just ONE, variety, then it would be Cherokee Purple. My second choice is Anananas Noire aka "Black Pineapple" which I think it is the most in appropriate name. This tomato has NO resemblance to pineapple and definitely it is not black or even brown.

o

Indian Stripe.

In comparison, the other blacks I've grown included:
Black Cherry
Cherokee Purple
Paul Robeson
Noire de Crimee
Nyagous

and IS is hands down better that the ones listed above (although CP comes in a close second).

smithmal

o

I'm looking for one or two new varieties to grow this year and thought I might get inspiration by asking what tomato you would grow if you could only have one variety?
I'd be torn, too, but I think mine would be (so far) Cherokee Purple.
###########

I am in Massachusetts also and for MA the winner is Jet Star by far.

I have grown CP and Jet Star side by side and JT wins hands down with double the yield and larger tomatoes of higher quality and the same flavor. size of vine is almost identical. Jet Star is a little more bushy to get more tomatoes.

for Jet Star you must get genuine seeds. do not buy plants or you will not get jet star in new england. you will get later F2 f3 f4 etc from sellers who save seeds to save money. and the yield on F2 is half that on genuine seeds.

the best place to get Jet Star seeds is Fedco or Totally Tomatoes. but do some google searches if you need to find a different seller. of course Harris sells them as Jet Star is a Harris seed.

also jet star is much better than its partner Supersonic.

I get jet star going early then I get some seeds in close to May 1 and the first set of plants fully ripen all toms then the 2nd set takes over until freeze time. Supersonic is used for that late crop. but I prefer 2 crops of Jet Star. Experiment and see what you like. I am in colder area zone 5 you are warmer and have more grow time in zone 6.

every farmer I have talked to in 50 years says if they could only grow one it would be Jet Star. Fedco catalog lists contests of varieties over time and Jet Star always wins first place in New England at least.

BUT YOU MUST GET SEEDS TO GROW REAL JET STAR.

o

Cuostralee... first year growing it, but plenty of big, beautiful, and great tasting tomatoes. During the hottest part of summer there was some blossom drop, but started right back up when we came out of 100+ degree weather.

Like many others, Sungold will be in our garden every year!

o

Cuostralee... first year growing it, but plenty of big, beautiful, and great tasting tomatoes. During the hottest part of summer there was some blossom drop, but started right back up when we came out of 100+ degree weather.

Like many others, Sungold will be in our garden every year!

o

Matina. Big enough to slice and put on a sandwich, but small enough so eating one doesn't turn into a self-imposed homework assignment. Here's how I grow 'em: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b4LktURbMQ

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tomatoes

o

Black Krim. I've grown both Cherokee Purple and Black Krim and prefer the Krim.

I also always grow Anna Russian. Huge, heart-shaped fruit, dense flesh and good for canning. Last year, however, I think I got one fruit from two plants because the rabbits love them too. Every time one got close to ripe there'd be a huge bite out of it the next day.

Caryl

o

For my climate, Black From Tula and others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here