Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I bought maxifort rootstock and was unaware of what it was.

Posted by jackblasto none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 12:49

As the subject suggests, I didn't know what I was getting into when I ordered some maxifort rootstock tomato seeds. I read that they produced more, year round, and were resistant to disease, etc. So I clicked "BUY" :)

Well, I don't understand WHAT needs done here. I mean, Do I have to go through the process of cutting the seedlings, etc... If so, is there a youtube video etc that might assist me?

If not, can I just grow these things from seed and they'll produce?

I'm pretty confused on what it all entails. Thanks for any assistance here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I bought maxifort rootstock and was unaware of what it was.

If you aren't interested in getting into grafting, healing chambers, growing scions, etc. and all the time and cost involved then I'd suggest you return them for a refund or sell the seeds to someone who needs them for grafting purposes. Choose other varieties to grow for actual fruit production.

Dave

o

To further clarify my confusion... heh... IS the maxifort rootstock simply a stem base and in need of another tomato breed to have connected to it?

So technically I would need to grow the maxifort rootstock to become the stem, and I would need to grow another tomato plant, to become the top?

OR, could I grow TWO maxifort rootstock plants and connect them to each other?

Thanks for any help with me understanding exactly what I am doing.

o

dig, I appreciate your advice. I checked out a video on youtube that didn't seem too difficult, honestly. BUT I am confused on what exactly GETS ATTACHED to the rootstock seedlings after I cut them, etc... I'm assuming I don't connect TWO maxifort together?

o

Ok. Not to answer my own questions BUT here's a great video for newbs like myself http://youtu.be/WSwTCwlhFgo

AND yes, the maxifort rootstock is in fact, the bottom, and another breed would be the top :)

o

IS the maxifort rootstock simply a stem base and in need of another tomato breed to have connected to it?

Yes.

So technically I would need to grow the maxifort rootstock to become the stem, and I would need to grow another tomato plant, to become the top?

Yes.

OR, could I grow TWO maxifort rootstock plants and connect them to each other?

No. If for some reason someone wanted to grow just Maxifort then it doesn't need to have another Maxifort grafted to it.

Maxifort is normally used only for its base, for grafting to other varieties to improve the resistance to soil borne pathogens. And tomato grafting isn't as simple as some youTube video would make it seem. Even many professionals with lots of experience report only at 40-50% success rate.

Dave

It is not a variety to grow for tomatoes to eat IMO.

o

Curious, if not done to eat, what would it be done for?

o

Jack - sorry I guess I am not saying it very clearly. The variety was developed specifically to be used as grafting root stock for the disease resistance it then imparts to other varieties that don't have resistance to the soil borne diseases. That is its primary reason for existence, its primary use, and the reason why it is so much more expensive than most varieties.

The vendors that list it call it "rootstock" or "Maxifort Rootstock" and all say things like

Maxifort - Disease-resistant rootstock. Grow tomato rootstock to add disease resistance and much improved plant vigor for an extended harvest.

It was not developed for eating, for flavor and those few that have tried it give it blah reviews. The fruit is small, hard, and bitter. The fact that you could eat it if you wanted is secondary. but there are literally thousands of varieties that are much better eating tomatoes.

If you want to grow it that's your choice of course but there are literally thousands of varieties that are much better eating tomatoes.

Hope this helps clarify.

Dave

o

The more I read up on this the more I actually am really interested in it. Frankenstein plants! What else can you root stock?

o

And yes, you've actually been helpful. So thank you. I think I get what you're saying I think. Maxifort Rootstock grown as an isolated plant isn't known for being so tasty but I'm guessing when you frankenstein the thing it could become tasty if done correctly.

o

when you frankenstein the thing it could become tasty if done correctly.

Once you frankenstein the thing then you aren't growing Maxifort. It ceases to be Maxifort and becomes whatever variety you graft onto it - Brandywine, Big Beef, Kosovo, Cherokee Purple, etc. Whatever. And they are just like the fruit you'd get from that variety without the grafting. But the plant now has greater resistance to any of the soil borne pathogens it wouldn't have otherwise. :)

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here