Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting annoyed at whatever's eating my tomato stems...

Posted by julia42 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 12:58

Something's chewing down my tomato plants and I'm getting pretty peeved. The weird thing is, it's not taking the smaller plants like I would expect of a cutworm. It's gnawing at the base of stems of the bigger plants - the ones that are already about a 12"-18" tall and wide, with thick 1/2" stems. The stems are sort of half-way gnawed on and hollowed out, so that the plants fall over. It reminds me of what the holes look like from squash vine borer (I know that doesn't affect tomato plants, though).

Does anyone have suggestions as to what this might be? Would cutworms attack the largest plants? I haven't found any cutworms around the plants - only lots of pill bugs. I know in other threads, people swear up and down that pill bugs won't eat healthy plants, so I don't know... Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting annoyed at whatever's eating my tomato stems...

Right at the soil line or how high up the stem? Mice and rats will do that if it isn't at the soil line. And don't rule out cutworms completely as they will often ignore one plant and take another. Slugs/snails is another possibility tho the damage is usually right at of just above the soil line.

Have you tried any of the stem protection methods? What works may often reveal who the culprit is.

Dave

o

julia42, I don't think you have a stem borer, but in case anyone would like to know about them, here are a couple of links:

Photos and info on page 3: http://www.btny.purdue.edu/Pubs/vegcrop/VCH2009/VCH508.pdf

More info on the bug here, but not tomato-centric: http://ipm.ncsu.edu/ag295/html/stalk_borer.htm

I had a stem borer once, about a foot above the soil. There was a small entrance hole, and the stem above that point stayed narrow and never got much longer. After a few weeks I just cut it off.

o

Actually, I think I may have found the culprit. Let me know if you think I'm way off.

I found a few flea beetles in the vicinity of the hacked plants. I have a pretty heavy straw and leaf mulch around them, and my guess is that larvae in the mulch hatched and chewed at the stems for a while. I've found pretty minimal leaf damage, but I've read they can damage stems too... I may go pick up some DE.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here