Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help pollinating indoor tomatoes

Posted by clones2 MN (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 13:40

Any suggestions to help pollinate indoor tomatoes other than using a Q-tip in the mornings?

I have grown some gorgeous plants indoors this winter, but have had horrible luck pollinating the flowers. I've had plants with well over 30 buds and I can only get 2-3 tomatoes from them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help pollinating indoor tomatoes

I've heard something about shaking the plant a little at noonish each day.

o

electric toothbrush on the branch - they are self pollinating

o

I just shake the plant stems just below the flowering trusses for about 15 seconds:

Photobucket

Seems to work pretty well:

Photobucket

Raybo

o

I too am a plant shaker, just grabbing the supports whenever I walk through the greenhouse and shaking each plant for the count of 3. I do this especially when the nighttime temps are wrong, or when we have basically 24 hours of daylight. There are other factors, such as humidity and nutrients, that can affect fruit set, too.

o

Brush your hand across flower clusters and the shake method works for me

o

Thanks for the suggestions...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here