Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tandrew31

Tomatos with high acid content

tandrew31
10 years ago

What indeterminate varieties have highest acid content plus rich flavor?
Comments appreciated about your favorite.

Comments (13)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Studies show that the pH of all tomato varieties fall within a very narrow band of pH - approx. +/-4.2 to 4.6. There are numerous charts available on the web listing the pH of 100's of varieties. I linked one of them below, just scroll down to the chart.

Some may "taste" more or less acidic but since "taste" is totally subjective, that difference is primarily a result of the individual's taste buds rather than the tomato itself. :)

And the pH of the fruit can be slightly affected by the growing conditions provided, the soil pH, the sun exposure, the amount of watering, etc. etc. So what tastes acidic in my garden could very well taste sweet when grown in your.

That said, there are lots of "favorites" lists posted here and in the previous discussions on favorite acid flavor you'll find:

Red Penna
    Giant Belgium
    Abe Lincoln
    Druzba
    Sandpoint
    Red Mortgage Lifter
    Persimmon
    Silvery Fir Tree

to name a few for you.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato acidity discussion and chart

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Is Druzba really tart tasting? I have it on my "to grow" list because it's in Carolyn's book and looks good to me.

Linda

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

I don't find Druzba to be tart at all and nor do many other folks since if you look at the link below at the bottom you'll not only see some taste comments, but also note that there are 10 seed sources for this variety, which I think speaks for itself.

Interior acidity alone is not what determines the taste of the fruits of a variety, it also has to do with sugar content and also the perception of taste, which is personal and perceptual and even has a human genetic component.

Are there varieties that I find are too strong, or agressive for me, I sure do, but I don't attribute that to internal acidity

On the list I see Red Penna which I know very well and it has a wonderful taste for many and Tania herself says it tastes like an old fashioned variety with excellent taste, or something like that.

Those words mean it isn't overly sweet to me and many others.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Red_Penna

Summary? It's very difficult for anyone to tell someone else what a variety tastes like, just too many varaibles, so the only way anyone will come to a conclusion it to grow it under the conditions that a person has for growing tomatoes.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Druzba

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Carolyn,

You gave it a good review and Tanya also says that it tastes good.

Linda

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Is Druzba really tart tasting?

It is to me as I prefer sweeter tasting tomatoes. But it was also recommended as tart by several other growers here so I put it on the list above drawn from previous discussions.

But I also made the point clearly above and in the link provided that what tastes acidic to one doesn't to others and vice versa.

Anyone can list 100 varieties and label them as acidic, sweet, blah, heavenly, old-fashioned, sickening, tart, ambrosia, or nauseating and someone will always come along and disagree with the label applied. So the "label" anyone applies and $1.25 will get you a cup of coffee and that's all.

So it does tastes tart to me and it doesn't to Carolyn, will it taste tart to you? Who knows. Besides Carolyn and I both have old tastebuds. :)

Dave

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Besides Carolyn and I both have old tastebuds. :)

I don't know about that Dave, for I always thought you were younger than I am. LOL

Shall we say more refined taste buds on older tongues? LOL

Carolyn

• seysonn
    10 years ago

So, it sound like to me that it is the amount of sugar contents(brix ?) that can hide or show the acidic taste in tomatoes. Then if you want acidic tasting tomatoes, avoid what is described as SWEET. I personaly like to taste acidity more than sweetness in tomatoes or about the same. Call it sweet n sour.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

An excellent example is the situation with so called white tomato varieties which many find to be bland and the reason is b'c while they have an internal acidity in the normal range they have a high sugar content which masks the acidity.

I don't think I'd extend it to any variety where the fruits are considered sweet, b'c again, person A says a variety is sweet and B says not sweet.

Carolyn

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    10 years ago

I always heard that red varieties were more acidic than pink, and pink varieties should be avoided for canning. Is that not the case?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I always heard that red varieties were more acidic than pink, and pink varieties should be avoided for canning. Is that not the case?

Not the case. While one could say that many pink varieties might taste sweeter than many reds, it is only in taste, not actual pH. As the chart linked above shows many pinks have a lower (more acidic) pH than many reds have. Same is often said of yellow varieties, that they are less acidic. But that doesn't hold up to testing either. It is all in the tastebuds and in the mind. Oh, and the soil and growing conditions.

And there certainly isn't any reason why pink tomatoes can't be canned. Tons of them are canned annually both commercially and by home canners.

Dave

PS: coming up this year on the 3/4 century mark Carolyn so yeah, it is an old tongue. But I'll take the "refined taste buds" part. :)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Olerist, aka Keith Mueller, posted a much better explanation than I did in the thread below.

I was semi-close, but not close enough.

Keith is the person who bred Purple Haze F1 and the OP's Liz Birt and Dora and several others and who has a superb website all about tomatoes from how to cross them, explanations about genetic segregation, and on and on.,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Acidity

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    10 years ago

Wow. I can't remember where I heard or read that but it I remember it was a source that was reputable enough that I never questioned it. It might have been in some old canning guide when I first started canning. Good to know. That opens things up a bit!

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

PS: coming up this year on the 3/4 century mark Carolyn so yeah, it is an old tongue. But I'll take the "refined taste buds" part. :)

........ wrote Dave,

And I'll reach the 3/4 century mark In June.

Carolyn

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm