in zone 7.I have heard the Black Krim was
excellent.
Comments appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Krim vs Cherokee Purple

Actually I'd go for Indian Stripe. Supposedly, IS's taste is as good as CP, but it has a quicker harvest date and better yields.

smithmal

o

Of those 2 Black Krim does better for me.

Dave

o

Good topic.
I had Black Krim last season. It did not do well for me. Maybe it was my climate, and growing condition to blame. So this year I will try Cherokee Purple.

Q: Is that true that most so-called BLACK tomatoes like cooler weather better than hot weather?

o

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 4, 14 at 17:23

in my experience Bk has smaller fruits than CP. Bk also has more core. They both have great flavor in my opinion.
As for productivity, more fruit from BK, larger fruit from CP.

I agree with smithmal. I no longer grow BK or CP. Indian Stripe beats them both for me.

o

They aren't the same so I would grow one or two of each. Both split and rot in the rain; it rarely rains here in summer. I love the black tomatoes and would not go without them but I would grow some Wes and others because some years are too hot or too dry or too wet and a variety is insurance. I don't think any of the large tomatoes set well in extreme heat.

o

I'm in southern CT (Z6). Both did well for me in 2013. Not so well in 2012. I plan to grow both in 2014.
John A

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 11:05

Black Krim has been a consistent performer for me in both quantity and quality. It also seems to produce early and keep producing all season long until the bitter end. I also love the taste. For me, Black Krim is on "must plant" list every year.

I like Cherokee Purple, but I don't think of it as fondly as I do of Black Krim. For me, the raves on CP haven't been justified. It's a fine tomato, but just doesn't live up to the hype. That being said, I'm going to grow it again this year! I think I'm overly influenced by the hype so I keep trying it waiting to get blown away, but if it doesn't do anything for me this year, I'll probably move on to a different variety.

o

For one, BK had mostly smaller fruits, mostly smaller than tennis ball and not consistent in size either. I was looking into slightly bigger fruits than that. I will try CP. I might even try to find seeds for Indian Stripe, as I see it getting rave reviews.

o

I like Black Krim and Cherokee Chocolate more than Cherokee Purple BUT Cherokee Purple is an excellent, large tomato, too

o

Both have failed utterly for me. In seven or eight years trying to grow Black Krim, I have had exactly two mature tomatoes. They were in the first year, and were so good I tried for years after to raise them, without results. The other one did nothing for me ever.

The problem here is the high differential between day and night garden temperatures prevent heirloom tomatoes from setting fruit unless they are low, ground-lying bushes (which describe the commercially grown tomatoes here). If the bushes are right on the ground, they retain enough heat during the nights for the fruit to set.

Otherwise, forget it.

Limits things drastically.

o

My daily temperature variations had been vey narrow (~ 15 F) but yet BK and BW did not do well at all.
One more think about BK, iit had few Cat Faced fruits and the fruits were smaller than tennis ball, with green tough shoulders, and cracked readily. BUT the taste was excellent, as most describe it : COMPLEX , creamy texture.

o

I tried BK twice and in diff soil in diff yrs and CP was easily the better choice. Last summer one of the wettest I can remember and my tomatoes in the big garden suffered in the heavy clay soil in spite of it being amended over forty yrs of tilling and growing. In the opposite corner of my property in soil that was pitiful and light ten yrs ago but amended with bagged products since I had 8 CP plants that did very well. Some a full 16 oz and little splitting. They were mostly well shaped and not cat faced. The soil will talk if we will only listen.

o

I understand the need to be careful, but putting the state where you live on your member page would be helpful. Zone number helps but is not enough.

o

• Posted by arley 7b/8a SC (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 10:32

Last year I grew them both. I'm about 20 miles east of Augusta GA, and our summers are hot and humid.

We had a lot of rain last summer. What I found was Black Krim was very good in flavor, pretty good in productivity, but was more prone to cracking than other tomatoes.

Cherokee Purple was less prone to cracking, but wasn't as productive. Flavor was very good.

Overall, I think a very slight edge to Black Krim IMHO, but both are very good.

o

• Posted by arley 7b/8a SC (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 10:33

Last year I grew them both. I'm about 20 miles east of Augusta GA, and our summers are hot and humid.

We had a lot of rain last summer. What I found was Black Krim was very good in flavor, pretty good in productivity, but was more prone to cracking than other tomatoes.

Cherokee Purple was less prone to cracking, but wasn't as productive. Flavor was very good.

Overall, I think a very slight edge to Black Krim IMHO, but both are very good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here