Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbl_ge

Best mail order heirloom tomato plants?

pbl_ge
10 years ago

Hi!

We've been disappointed by what the local nurseries offer in terms of heirloom plants, so we're looking for mail order sources. This cold, cloudy winter day seemed the ideal time to shop. Anyone got suggestions? We only need about 6-8 plants, so the ones that sell them in five packs aren't ideal.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (19)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Selected Plants, link below is one of THE best if not THE best and the owner posts here as Fusion.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Selected Plants

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree with the above. There are several suppliers online but Selected Plants gets consistently good reviews.

Dave

• gjshawk
    10 years ago

I haven't purchased from them, but check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatofest

• pbl_ge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Will check both of those companies out.

Has anyone every ordered from Laurel's? She seems to get some mixed reviews, but thought I'd ask, as that site comes up first in searches.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Gary Ibsen who owns Tomatofest only sells seeds.

His business partner is Laurel Garza who sells tomato plants at a totally different site, not off theTomatofest site. Laurel tells me I'm the one who convinced her to get into the plant business when we were posting at the same place where I was the lead Moderator at the time, and that was many years ago.

I've had no contact with Laurel in many years but have read comments from folks who have bought plants from her.

Yes, the reviews for Laurel are mixed as you mentioned above.

Carolyn

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

We've been disappointed by what the local nurseries offer in terms of heirloom plants,

Disappointed in what specifically? The selection of varieties or the appearance/quality of the plants? If the ones you want are not available locally then ask the local growers if they will grow them for you. Many grow consignment varieties on request and there is still ample time in your zone for them to do it.

Dave

• roper2008
    10 years ago

Cross country nurseries ships tomato plants also.

Im sorry you have to order at least 12 plants from
    them.

This post was edited by roper2008 on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 9:20

• pbl_ge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The 8 plants for $36 from Selected Plants seems pretty perfect! Now we just have to choose varieties. That's a pretty overwhelming list! And he sounds like he's got a pretty amazing operation there, so I'll be happy to order from him.

Gardenweb wisdom for the win!!!!

• jwr6404
    10 years ago

I have ordered from Laurel's for several years and have always been satisfied with their plants and advice.
    Jim

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

I ordered from Laurels's Tomatoes once a couple years ago and was very impressed with how well the plants were packed and how healthy they were on arrival. They did very well in my garden. I only stopped because I decided to grow my own plants from seed. Her minimum order is one plant if paying by check and four if paying by credit card.

• sue_ct
    10 years ago

I can also vouch for Laurel's plants. I was very satisfied with the plants I received from her. I don't order any more only because I now start my own from seed.

• pbl_ge
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We took the plunge with Selected Plants! We limited ourselves to the ones that had descriptions, as there was plenty of new stuff there to try. We think we got 9 varieties: Aunt Ruby's German Green, Cherokee Purple, Kellogg's Breakfast,
    Kimberly, Eva Purple Ball, Purple Haze, Heidi, Daniels, and Anna Russian.

Cannot WAIT for spring!!!

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

pbl, I'll reply to your request sometime tomorrow.

Thanks,

DarJones

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    10 years ago

I order from Selected Plants also and can definitely vouch for the quality of Darrel's plants and also how carefully they are shipped.

Edie

• dodge59
    10 years ago

I bought from Laurel and was very impressed with the packaging and condition of the plants.

All did well last year except NAR.

Selected Plants does not ship to California.

Gary

• drcindy
    10 years ago

Wow, exciting links to Selected Plants! Does anyone have the website for Laurel? Any comments on tomato plants from Territorial Seed Company? I love the selection from Selected Plants but I'd like to cut down on shipping costs since I'm in WA. I bought a greenhouse this year and would like to plant in late April but I know my local nurseries won't have a lot out yet at that time. Thanks!

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Below is the link to Laurel's website, I'll let you Google Territorial, ,etc.

If you compare shipping costs I think you'll find that Darrel's shipping costs are amongst the lowest, but that's for you to decide when you compare with other sites where plants are sold.

And I don't think that shipping costs should be perhaps the main criterion in deciding on any site since how the plants are packed/shipped and what the plants look like I think should also be criteria to look at..

Making decisions is also tied up on which specific varieties a place offers that might be on your want list.

SSE also sells nice plants and you can check them out as well.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurel's website

• drcindy
    10 years ago

Thank you Carolyn for the link and other vendors. Shipping costs are definitely not the main concern, but a concern nonetheless. Of course I am more interested in healthy plants and a wide variety of them, which Darrel certainly offers.

• CathyCA SoCal
    10 years ago

I order from Laurel's. Very healthy, sturdy plants. I pick up as I am local.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area