Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seedlings vs new suckers

Posted by Sherry_Bell 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 14:25

Last year was my first year growing tomatoes. I live in Florida and we did not get a winter this year, so my (grape) tomatoes are still producing and growing new suckers. I have figured out how to take off some of those suckers and replant them to start new plants. The plants are growing slow now however with the method of using the suckers to restart new plants, is that a good or bad idea? Should I be pulling all of this up and getting rdy to put out new ones?
I am real new at this and would love your input.

Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seedlings vs new suckers

Good idea, assuming plants are healthy. You'll be weeks ahead of restarting from seed. I envy your dilemma.

o

I think that using suckers to start new plants is a valid idea. Here in zone 5 I took suckers off my very prolific Cosmonaut Volkov plant last fall. The seeds that I had stored were getting old and I didn't want to lose the line. The two plants are overwintering in the sunny south windows and doing very well.

Go for it--just don't destroy the parent plants until your suckers are showing signs of new growth.

o

i have the same issue here in phoenix and i'm wondering y pull up the old plant i have 1 orange cherry and one grape that i've allreedy potted some cuttings from but what is the downside to letting these continue to grow they are loaded with flowers now and i'm getting about 10 pounds of fruit a week, so why would i pull them up?

o

I don't believe that there is any reason to pull them up as long as they are still healthy and productive.

The only thing I would do is make sure to keep fertilizing them so that they can keep up production. Top-dress them with a couple inches of compost now, and continue what you normally do to keep them healthy.

Tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants are actually tender perennials, not annuals. I have peppers in the basement that are five-year-old plants. Every fall I stick them in a pot and overwinter them in the basement. When spring rolls around I transplant them back outdoors and get at least a month head-start over those puny seedlings!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here