Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
euarto_gullible

Gleckler Seedmen

euarto_gullible
11 years ago

I see their website hasn't been updated. Are they still in operation? Anybody know what's going on?

Comments (6)

• susanlynne48
    11 years ago

I just got an order from them last week, so yes they are still in operation, with some fantastic heirloom varieties. I particularly wanted Gary O'Sena and JD's Special C-Tex, which have proven excellent producers here in the last miserable 2 years of drought.

I think their listing of "new varieties for 2012" meant new offerings for Spring 2013 actually. They just put them up in late 2012.

Susan

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Their new 2013 varieties have not been put up yet. At another site where Adam posts many have been asking. Since I know Adam and Ellie very well I called and Adam called me back the next day.

Adam works almost full time for the family concrete business and that work is what puts food on the table, etc, and they took a brief vacation in January. Adam said the new ones would be up by the beginning of this past week, but I just checked and they aren't.

The reason I know is b'c every year I send varieties for trial ro several seed companies and last Spring I sent about 20 to Adam, so I too was curious as to which ones he liked and saved enough seeds of to offer for 2013.It does take a long time to upload pictures and do the variety descriptions, that I know.

Those of you who know about Glecklers I think can appreciate the fact that when he revived the business several yearfs ago that was started by his grandfather in the 40's, and then his father George after that, and then closed, that whenI saw Adam had restarted the business I was thrilled b'c it's where I got many of my varieties backin the 80's before Ijoined SSE in 1989.

All to say that when I found out that he'd restarted I spearheaded a project to have other folks send him rare or hard to get varieties so there wouldn 't be that much competition from other sites.

So it's a good one to go to for those kinds of varieties, and there are several others who also have the more hard to get varieties as well, but with little overlap.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn

• euarto_gullible
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info.

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

Any current info? Their site is down now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Store not found

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Gleckler's has gone out of business. I had several e-mail exchanges between Ellie, Adam's wife and myself.

Too much work to grow all the varieties and process the seed to result in enough money to support the family. so

(Adam and I are doing well and our children are growing like weeds!! It was a decision that was not easy, nor intended, but we did in-fact close up the online sales. Adam is no longer in concrete, but has taken on and Excavating Business that is doing very well and requires 15-16 hour days of him. It is )

The above should explain the situation.

Carolyn

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, I am glad I got some great seeds from them while I could.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting