Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tatton95

Sweetest red hybrid indeterminate tomatoes

tatton95
12 years ago

I am looking for the sweetest red hybrid medium size indeterminate tomatoes that still have good tomato flavor. I would appreciate any recommendations you have from your experience.

Thank you.

Brett

Comments (9)

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

There is plenty of opinoins ,try a search in the above search box

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

sweetest red hybrid medium size indeterminate tomatoes

As is often mentioned here, taste is very subjective, it is strictly personal. What is sweet to one may be tart to another and vice versa. And growing conditions affect flavor/taste from year to year - even in the same garden with the same variety.

So all anyone can give you is a personal opinion. And you know what that is worth. :-)

Best approach is to try several of the "red hybrid medium size indeterminate tomatoes", and there are hundreds of them, and see which tastes best to you.

So personally, I find many of the pinks to be far sweeter than any of the reds I have ever tried. Consider some of them.

Dave

• janezee
    12 years ago

Momotaro. Actually a very reddish pink. The most popular hybrid in Japan. Fast gaining prominence in the NW, east of the Cascades, west of the Rockies.
    It's my favorite hybrid, period. Not red Sun Sugar runs neck and neck with it some years, though.

• tatton95
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is Tough Boy the same as Momotaro? I read somewhere they are the same, but I just want to be sure. Totally Tomatoes has Tough Boy, but doesn't mention anything about it being the same as Momotaro or it being popular in Japan.

Is Momotaro almost as sweet as Sun Sugar? That would be my perfect tomato, a midsize red/pink hybrid tomato that tastes similiar to Sun Sugar. Thanks.

Brett

• missingtheobvious
    12 years ago

Yes, Momotaro is aka Tough Boy. Apparently the skin is tough and resists cracking.

Momotaro is named for a character in Japanese folklore, and is more or less translated as Peach Boy (technically "peach" + "Taro," which is a boy's name). Momotaro is one of the tiny-child-found-by-childless-couple motif stories; he was so small he was found inside a large peach. He grows up to become a hero, but IIRC, in some versions of the story he remains small.

So if you want to de-hybridize Momotaro, "Peach Boy" would be the perfect name for it. Or perhaps "Momotaro Peach Boy," which would bet more obvious for people who haven't read the folk tale.

• tatton95
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information on Momotaro--I will definitely be growing it this year.

Any other recommendations?

• woodcutter2008
    12 years ago

Momotoro -- I grew it last summer and it will be back again this year. Excellent tomato. I'd also suggest "Bonnie Original" from Bonnie Plants. Medium sized, indeterminate plant; very good tomatoes and yield. If you've never bought a Bonnie tomato plant, treat yourself! Really nice plants that put most to shame. Carried by many large retailers.
    -WC2K8

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie Plants -- tomatoes

• yumtomatoes
    12 years ago

Is the skin hard to chew on these?

• yumtomatoes
    12 years ago

I meant to say, is the skin of the Momotaro hard to chew? I like sweet but I don't like chewy, plasticky skin.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida