Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone trying this giant tomato?

Posted by TrpnBils 6B (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 14:35

I want to probably double my production of spaghetti sauce this year from last and am considering Burpee's Super Sauce hybrid. It's on the cover of the current catalog and is described as about 5.5" x 5" and 2lbs in weight.

They say it's new but I'm curious as to whether anyone has started some seeds or plants yet. It's on the expensive side ($6 for 25 seeds) so I'd like to get some reviews if possible before I buy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone trying this giant tomato?

There was a recent discussion here about it. I'll see if I can find it for you. Either way it is supposedly a new variety so no previous experience with it is possible.

Dave

o
RE: here you go

Here it is from page 2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpee Super Sauce tomato

o

If a vendor promises their seeds will grow into "disease-free plants" (as in Burpee's description of this variety) ... why should we believe any of their other claims?

o

why should we believe any of their other claims?

Yep. That's what several of us keep saying about Burpee and have for years. :)

TrpnBils if you really want to double your sauce production this year then move on from paste-type tomatoes. Not only will you get more but it will be much better tasting too.

dave

o

Any suggestions? I've never actually grown any "paste tomatoes" as the catalogs label them. We just grew one indeterminate variety last year we got in a pack of seeds from Wal Mart and used those (Early Girl if I remember right). Really good results on the sauce, and I actually just used the last pint at dinner last night!

o

TrpnBils

If you had good results with last year's seeds, you can probably get those seeds to germinate again this year. And if you liked em, and they did well...grow em

If you want to can some tomatoes, you might want to look at a determinate paste/Roma type of tomato.

o

My favorote tomatoes for sauce are ox hearts. There is another thread on this forum talking about those where you might get some ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here