Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato STEM skin cracking?

Posted by Cherokee_ 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 15:00

Some of my tomato plants (White Queen) have small skin cracks on the stem that run vertically. It doesnt seem to be doing harm, nor spreading, and seems to me like a symptom of fast growth.

Ive searched the internet and cannot seem to find any information on this particular situation. Was wondering if someone could elucidate me as to what exactly is going on, and if its anything that needs rectifying.

That small white part is what Im talking about. Its not bumpy or anything, its a little smooth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato STEM skin cracking?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine did the same thing last year and it did not affect the plants growth or yield.

o
RE: Tomato STEM skin cracking?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 19:31

Just as with the fruit rapid growth accompanied by inconsistent soil moisture levels - too wet and then too dry etc. can cause stem splitting. The stem shrinks then swells and splits. Stabilize the moisture level.

That plant is going to be awfully big by the time you can transplant it outdoors. Personally I plant some new seeds for proper planting time or at least take small cuttings from that one and root them.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here