Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puzzlefan

Opalka Tomato Seed Source

puzzlefan
10 years ago

I would like to plant just three or four of the Opalka variety but can't find a source Does anyone have a website where they sell them and particularly in a small quantity and reasonable shipping?

Comments (9)

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    10 years ago

Tomatofest has them for 2.95, pretty reasonable I think. 15 dollar minimum though, and shipping runs 3-4 dollars. For less than 20 bucks you could get about 5 varieties.

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Remi's Sample Seed Shop has Opalka for $1.50 and charges $4.00 shipping for up to 20 packets. She sends a free packet of seeds with every order.

I have ordered from her this winter and been happy.

Linda

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

From the link below you'll see I was the person who first introduced Opalka by SSE listing it and sending seeds for trial to several seed sources.

If you click on seed sources at the top of that page you'll see that many places are selling seeds for 2014.

If you want me to I can list, in order, the places where i would buy the seeds, my opinion only.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Opalka

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I assume you know that tomato seeds, properly stored, are good for many years so buying a regular packet of any seeds has you set for years.

As an alternative, go to the seed exchange forum here as many offer them in trade.

Dave

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Dave, I know that there are many wrong Opalkas out there, at some seed sites, as well as with traded seeds, so in this specific situation I don't think I'd trade for them since there are many more wrong varieties obtained by trading than there are by purchasing seeds directly from a good seed source,

Maybe you remember when I used to do a wrong varieties thread here at GW each year and the data from those threads as well as my bouncing around at several seed sites for many years convinced me, and many others, to never get involved in seed trading unless a person knows the person they are trading with.

Yes, I know it's heresey to speak of not trading seeds, but we've established that both of us are approaching the 3/4 centuray mark, ahem, and I'm not backing down from my trading position. LOL

Finally, I think it's VERY important that folks support the many family owned seed sites b'c they are the ones who are doing the most to help preserve varieties by making them available to the public. All of the family ones? Heck no, some have terrible reputations. And I refuse to blacklist those in a public Forum such as GW or even privately to anyone I don't know well. It's a plus if folks read and post at seveal message sites so they are exposed to different opinions, and that's my own opinion.. ( smile)

Carolyn

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I agree with you Carolyn. However there are some dependable traders available. It is just a buyer beware business just like with the commercial market.

Dave

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

My own wrong varieties threads here plus info from other message sites does show, though, that MORE wrong varieties are received by trading rather than via commercial sources.

Don't you just love dealing with a stubborn old lady such as myself? LOL

Carolyn,now back to packing seeds so she can watch the olympics tonight. ( smile)

• arley_gw
    10 years ago

I got Opalka from Tomatofest last year. It was by far the most productive variety in my garden last year, and seemed resistant to problems that other tomatoes had.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Don't you just love dealing with a stubborn old lady such as myself? LOL

Been doing it for 50 years now. But then she claims she learned how to perfect 'stubborn' from me. :)

Dave

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer