Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tampasteve

What size raised beds?

tampasteve
15 years ago

Hey folks, I've been getting tons of great information and advice since I joined, and want to thank everyone for that.

However, I have a question regarding the size of raised beds, that I haven't seen an answer to.

I am planning on around twenty beds so I can grow enough for the market (yes, I have a very big back yard.) I was going to keep all my beds a uniform 4ft x 8ft, and just turn some to where the long side was facing north so I could grow more than two tomato plants per bed.

But then I ask myself "how are you going to get to the tomatoes on the middle plants that are facing the middle of the bed?" I'd have to try and reach through the trellis netting.

Should I make those beds long and narrow, say 12ft x 3ft, or 12 x 2? Or should I just make a uniform row of 4x8 beds, and just plant two tomato plants on the north end of each bed? The second option would probably be more esthetically pleasing and help with succession planting, but having a bed of just tomatoes or just squash, etc may have it's own advantages.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting