Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

How to pollinate flowers in small greenhouse?

caflowerluver
15 years ago

I have a couple of tomato plants in my small 4X4 greenhouse that have just started having flowers. I have never grown tomatoes in a greenhouse before so how do I make sure the flowers get pollinated and produce fruit.

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (15)

• catman529
    15 years ago

Around midmorning when the flowers are fully open, tap or shake them to ensure self-pollination.

• dave_f1 SC, USDA Zone 8a
    15 years ago

Clare, on a small-scale like that, maybe an electric toothbrush would work. Just gently hold against each flower stem for a second to vibrate the flowers mid-day. I think alot of commercial growers use bumblebees, but that would be a good substitute. I don;t know if just shaking the plants around would ensure complete pollination.

• catman529
    15 years ago

I tap or flick the individual flowers a few times, and it seems to work. I only shake the plants around when I'm spraying them with the hose to knock aphids off. ;)

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for the tips.
    Clare

• brainray
    15 years ago

Conventional wisdom says the wind or gentle shaking will be sufficient for pollination. But for the true tomato crazies, like myself, that just seems too simple even though nature has been doing it forever.

OK, my wife makes fun of me every time, but I walk around my garden with a set of hair clippers buzzing the flowers for a few seconds each. I should probably put this on the "tomato madness" post.

I started doing this when I read some articles about tomato pollination. The bees in green houses, from what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong, don't contribute to spreading pollen b/c tomatoes self pollinate. It's the buzzing of the bees wings that help the pollen drop.

At any rate, they sell tomato pollinators online (see link below and scroll down a bit). Yes, you can spend $175 if you really want to ("Ultima Pollinator"). I decided that the $20 hair clippers would probably do the same job as would an electric toothbrush like dave_fl mentioned.

Google "tomato pollination" for more info.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydro gardens

• catman529
    15 years ago

I have many small various motors lying around, so I should take one and fix an off-balance weight on it to make a vibrator that I can use on my tomatoes

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brainray - Thanks for the information about the shaver. Maybe my DH's little sideburn trimmer will work. And thanks for the link.
    Clare

• mr_potaohead
    15 years ago

The electric toothbrush method works extremely well. I've noticed an increase in fruit production but BER got to a third of them last year.

• brainray
    15 years ago

Excellent pics mr_potaohead! I may even switch to a toothbrush...will have to sneak my wife's out to the garden when she's running errands.

• wordwiz
    15 years ago

>> OK, my wife makes fun of me every time, but I walk around my garden with a set of hair clippers buzzing the flowers for a few seconds each. I should probably put this on the "tomato madness" post. I read about this. It's called sonicating. Supposedly, a massager will also work.

Mike

• spiced_ham
    15 years ago

I can see it now, people across the country standing out in the community gardens applying personal massagers to their tomato plants. I wonder what the police reports would say?

or ...Gardener's trying to be incognito with sunglasses and hats on asking the clerk at the local adult shop "Which model would work best for my pollinating my blossoms?"

• stella_h
    15 years ago

I can just see the reaction when I tell my co-workers, "I was massaging my tomato blossoms yesterday . . ."

• azhomegrown
    15 years ago

i use a good size make up brush and brush the flowers that i want pollen from and transfer it to the flowers i want to pollinate. hopefully i end up with some decent hybrids.

• beastmaker
    15 years ago

I use a micro touch moustache trimmer. I have the tip half disengaged so it vibrates ALOT.

• susy_chuwang
    13 years ago

I use my dildo to vibrate my tomato plants. Just have to remember to wash it off right after. I don't want to accidently give birth to a half tomato baby!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner