Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Spacing in Garden Box

Posted by gelatodave Zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 16:41

I am growing tomatoes in a very large rectangular box (Length 6ft, Width 4ft, Depth 4ft). If I wanted to maximize the number of plants/box would it be okay to plant each tomato plant at the edge of the box, basically right up against the side? My reasoning behind this is that I want to make sure the shoots of the plants do not interfere with each other. I am assuming the roots will spread out as much as they need to beneath the soil. What do you think?

On the picture, the tomato plant is the X with a circle around it.

This post was edited by gelatodave on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Spacing in Garden Box

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 17:57

As with any container once the roots hit the sides they begin to spiral and coil and with time the plant becomes root bound.

So rather than plant them so snugly in the corners I'd move them more in toward the centers of each section. Plus it would be much easier to support the plants properly that way.

Leaf branches inter-tangling with each other poses no problems and can be controlled with just a bit of end-of-branch trimming. But binding up roots unnecessarily can lead to stressed and even dead plants.

JMO.

Dave

o

I planted mine about 1 foot in from each edge last year. It was a good choice my one plant easily took 2 feet by 2 feet and I had to have some extra sturdy caging to keep it upright. It also yielded a massive amount of tomatoes. Put some basil near the base to keep it company. :)

o

Thank you for the quick reply, don't know what I would do without this forum. Dave, I centered the plants last year with good results, however it did become very "jungle-like." I will try some end-of-branch trimming like you suggested this year. Destiny, thanks for the advice regarding the basil.

This post was edited by gelatodave on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:29

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 19:28

They don't have to be exactly centered, just not so tight in the corners. As Destiny said a foot to a foot and half in (although I guess that would pretty much center the front ones anyway. :-)

Dave

o

Not going into details, I would/could plant 12 tomatoes in that raised bed/box or whatever, easily. That will be an average of 2.0 sqr-ft per plants. Considering that the planter is quite deep, this is my conservative approach. THAT IS 8 CUBIC FEET (over 50 gallons of root area/soil per plant)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here