Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lubadub

Giant Tomato

lubadub
13 years ago

There was a 7.325 pound tomato grown in Canada by Phil Hunt and his wife. The tomato was the largest grown this year in competition and was weighed at a GPC Weighoff. It was big but not a new world record, That record is held by Gordon Graham who grew his 7+ pound tomato from an heirloom variety, Delicious. No one since then has been able to grow anything really big from Delicious. Phil Hunt received his seeds from Timm Brandt who also resides in Canada. Timm had been growing from some seeds he bought in a packet at a local store and had given Phil some seeds out of one of his tomatoes. Guess what, they were the variety Delicious. Not many people here grow for size but I thought for those who do I would pass this on.

Comments (15)

• suddensam
    13 years ago

No one since then has been able to grow anything really big from Delicious.
    I live in Boynton Beach, Fl. Where We have a long growing season here if your careful. I have been trying to go for a super large tomato for yrs. The reason im saying this is I have been growing out delicious, and big zacs with no luck on anything super large so far.
    Plant em if you got em.
    Sam

• mickyfinn6777
    13 years ago

The tomato (Delicious) that was grown out by Gordon Graham was a fluke, and will probably never be repeated again,seeds actually saved from that particular giant tomato also never produced anything other than average sized tomatoes despite lots of people trying.

It always annoys me that people and companies selling (Delicious) tomato seeds commercially play on and use that fact to promote the sale of the variety as a world beating giant tomato-which it clearly is not.

The only way that they could have repeated the Gordon Graham fluke was to have taken cuttings from the actual plant at the time and propagate it as a clone. where all the plants resulting would have been clones of the original plant-and they might have eventually have fixed the fluke gene in time, but they did not do that and it was lost forever.

• mickyfinn6777
    13 years ago

Lubadub- where did you get the info from that Phil Hunt used seeds that were out of packet of (Delicious seeds) originally from Tim Brandt, because all the details that I have read about Phil Hunt's tomato from the time he won with it to present day, reads that he grew it from seeds of (Big Zac) taken from a special re=selected strain of it that he aquired from a friend of his ?????

• mickyfinn6777
    13 years ago

Lubadub- where did you get the info from that Phil Hunt used seeds that were out of packet of (Delicious seeds) originally from Tim Brandt, because all the details that I have read about Phil Hunt's tomato from the time he won with it to present day, reads that he grew it from seeds of (Big Zac) taken from a special re=selected strain of it that he aquired from a friend of his ?????

• mickyfinn6777
    13 years ago

Sorry I accidentally double posted the same post.

• bigdaddyj
    13 years ago

I have grown several varieties larger than Delicious. I could name plenty. Perhaps there is a "Magic Delicious" seed strain out there that Graham and this Hunt grew? Maybe theirs are actually delicious tasting too because the Delicious I grew years ago were ho-hum in every regard.

• ribsyhuggins
    13 years ago

look like this is an old controversy
    but like it or not Delicious has always held the world record

Here is a link that might be useful: the world record tomato controversy aug 1987

• lubadub
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got the information from Brandt Timm and Phil Hunt.

Marv

• trudi_d
    13 years ago

the Delicious I grew years ago were ho-hum in every regard

I couldn't have said it any better. Meh.

• mickyfinn6777
    13 years ago

Lubadub-

Hi-Marv, I didn't realize that it was you,(Got your book-read it several times over :) )

Well-that's a surprise -if you say you got the info from them- then I suppose it must be true-but what about all the other info that came from them earlier about it being a special; strain of Big Zac etc,-one of them must be fibbing.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    13 years ago

What book?

• ribsyhuggins
    13 years ago

the book is called "Giant Tomatoes"
    by Marvin H. Meisner;

• mickyfinn6777
    13 years ago

And very good book it is too, I read it for reference purposes most weeks :)

• mickyfinn6777
    13 years ago

It appears to me that the only real way one can tell if the growers were telling big fibs about the tomato source variety, after giving statements of two different variety names as being the one,
    Is to take a close look at the tomato itself as Big Zac has got distinctive qualities and shape even if the tomato was derived from a multi flowered head, whereas on the other hand the Delicious tomato is a bit different in shape with much less multi flowered blooms.

• lubadub
    Original Author
    13 years ago

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/lubadub/Pembroke__7325_tomato_072.jpg

Here is a picture, I hope, of the 7.33 pound tomato that was grown from Delicious seed as requested.
    Marv