Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this tomato plant diseased?

Posted by ameera z11 Dubai (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 13 at 18:40

I am growing what I think are Brandywines but I am not sure...long story short, I gave my housemaids a packet of tomato seeds to start growing since I was going to be overseas for almost 2 months. I thought it was Orange Minsk, but posted photos here to ask a question and was advised it was the wrong leaf type to be OM. I still can't remember for sure but don't see my Brandywine Sudduth seed packet so I am assuming that must be what is growing.

I have 3 plants up on the roof, and they all were doing well, but in the last week to ten days one of them seems to be succumbing to something... I just want to know if anyone recognizes it and if it is something bad that is contagious to the other plants.

Here are some photos:

The first 3 are from the unhealthy looking plant:

photo 2b5799e6-989f-4cb3-9e02-45177aadbb94.jpg

photo b9c5e537-e75c-424f-844d-d069d05ba5e5.jpg

photo adee0dd1-fdd7-4c62-90f0-974b11417754.jpg

And here are photos from the 2 other healthy plants:

photo e0a20c4f-42e5-476d-b028-fd03ad5bc540.jpg

photo 7a67fb6e-8f7e-400d-8e50-5e7bc4a3e805.jpg

photo 9b0c9d58-6de7-473c-a9d5-3e1303cbe93b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this tomato plant diseased?

Ameera: The photos of your healthy plants in the other message you posted today are very impressive. I know you worked very hard to find the right potting mix and fertilizer. You should be proud. But I am concerned that this tomato might be diseased. I don't know if tomato diseases in Dubai are the same ones we get here. But if they are similar, I would guess that it's got some kind of fungus. Have you used any fungicide to treat it or the other plants? Fungicides work best to prevent disease. They can't really cure most diseases. Daconil is a fungicide many recommend. I also recommend that you cut off all the diseased leaves and treat all your plants. If it is possible to move the sick plant away from the others, that might help protect them. Whatever your plant has, it is probably contagious, so try not to touch the healthy plants after touching the sick one.

This post was edited by Ohiofem on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 18:38

o

Ohiofem. Thank you-- I didn't get email notification of replies so I only saw your reply now... I have moved it away from the others and I don't think that plant is going to be saved... It hasn't grown any taller since...

Another thing... Will the tomatoes that are on there be safe to eat if they are able to ripen?

o

Ameera: I don't know of any tomato disease that would make your tomatoes unsafe to eat. If you get ripe tomatoes that look OK when you cut them open, go ahead and eat them. Sadly, I've eaten many tomatoes from diseased plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here