Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Tobacco and Tomatoes?

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 18:40

I read this week-end in Fine Gardening Magazine (a back issue) that Nicotianas can carry the Tobacco Mosaic virus and so are not recommended to be planted near Tomatoes and other solanaceas. Is this true? I had been planning on a bed of "Only the Lonely" on the perimeter of my potager this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Tobacco and Tomatoes?

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 12:52

Oh, shoot. I sure hope thats' not true. I've been told that I can deter pests by planting tobacco around my garden area and was planning to try it this spring.

Jan

o

donnabaskets yes it is true

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 12 at 18:20

I was tempted to grow flowering tobacco one year until I heard about the link. Plenty of other flowers to grow.

o

Oh, well. The best laid plans....etc., etc.

Thanks, folks. I figured you would know.

o

Two things come into play here. Few of us have ever experienced TMV to my knowledge. I've seen Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, a few bacterial diseases and a host of fungal diseases but never TMV. Secondly if you are concerned,I know many seed varieties are available with resistance to TMV. But although fewer people smoke nowdays I believe the TMV concern from having smokers handle plants was dismissed as insignificant a few years ago. If I were you I wouldn't lose sleep over this disease.

o

Ditto bmoser, I smoke and I also plant tobacco near my Toms. I have never had TMV on my plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here