Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you start your long keepers

Posted by greensingh z6b south jersey (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 11 at 18:46

The variety I have is called longkeeper from tradewindsfruit.
I have not grown long keeping types before so need to know when to start/plant them.
This is a late season determinate so most of the fruit should start to ripen close to the end of the season.
Also how do you know when to pick them as you don't want them to completely ripen on the vine.
Do share if you have experience with this variety.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you start your long keepers

Did some more research. Seems like late spring early summer would be good to plant in ground.

o

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 11:10

I start them at the same time I start my other tomato seeds. I transplant them into the garden at the same time too. But we live in a cooler zone than you do and always have green tomatoes on the vine when we get our first frost.

I hope that helps.

Betsy

o

thanks for the reply. We definitely do have a slightly longer season. The last frost is after mid October.
If these were indeterminate then I would probably plant them along with the regulars.
I think I will plant a couple and stagger them and see how they compare. Any tips on storage?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here