Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodcutter2008

4th of July vs. Early Girl

woodcutter2008
12 years ago

Has anyone grown Burpee's 4th of July against Early Girl (not Bush early Girl). If so, is it really any earlier? I'm thinking about trying it this spring.

-WC2K8

Comments (9)

• rcweston
    12 years ago

1've grown both of them in the past. The 4th of July was earlier, but rather small, almost like an extra large cherry tomato. It lacked much of the flavor and texture of a good summer tomato but much better than the green house tomatoes you find in a store.
    The early girl is a little later and larger, but I still find it lacking in my taste for tomatoes, Both have there place but neither one is as favorable as many of the later tomatoes.
    Of the two, my vote is for the Early girl.

• monet_g
    12 years ago

I've grown both of them in the past, too. If I remember correctly they weren't that early. Of course, it all depends on the weather and growing conditions.

Personally, I'd opt for an heirloom that might be a week or two later, but packs a punch in both vigor and flavor - " Black Krim" - mmmmm! Did I say flavor!? More, mmmmmm. ;-)

• Cardinalsfan
    12 years ago

Has anyone ever grown Goliath? I planted these for the first time last year and didn't have much luck with them. They supposedly make big fruit. Sticking to my old standby Celebrity this year along with Champion.

• kathywide
    12 years ago

Here are 2 pages that compare both 4th of July and Early Girl:
    http://www.tomatodirt.com/early-girl-tomato.html
    http://www.tomatodirt.com/fourth-of-july-tomato.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Fourth of July Tomato

• mrdoitall
    12 years ago

I grow Goliath ever year. They do great for me. They love the heat. There are hybrids and OP Goliath tomatoes. I grow 6 to 8 plants. I grow 4th July last year. they are small size like golf ball size or a little bigger. I grow early girl each year they grow golf ball and baseball size for me. I only grow 2 of each they don't have much taste. I grow 150 to 200 tomato plants each year.

• tarolli2011
    8 years ago

THis is an old thread, but I want to add a comment for other people who find it, as I did.

Constoluto Genovese (convoluted one from Genova) is my favorite OP. Grown for 200 years in Italy. It is slow in a cold spring, then it makes up for it in summer. Plenty of production, non-rotting, havent had disease problems. And the taste is absolutely THE BEST.

I hate the low-producing, rediscovered "heirlooms" like Brandywine because this one has the taste, but not the problems. I like the taste as well as Big Boy and better than Brandywine.

Dont like Constaluto Florentino as well.

• daniel_nyc
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I grew... both.

Unhappy with... both.

Small, modest taste, not early at all, and not productive... both.

Will never grow again... both.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

I grew EG in 2013. It did not live up to its name and the claimed DTM. Plus the taste was mediocre in my garden.
    This year I am growing Fo J. So far it has flowers almost 50 days from plant out where it was supposed to produce a ripe fruit by then. I know my climate is not near ideal but not that bad because I have half a dozen varieties that have set fruits before it flowered.

So I already have placed F o J in my ZAP list.

Sey

• aruzinsky
    8 years ago

I am trying New Girl. So far, it is the fastest growing tomato plant amongst Best Boy, Big Zac, and Better Boy.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH