Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ontheteam

Tarzan tomato any one grow it?

ontheteam
10 years ago

I have heard it stays small and the fruit grows in a more visible way..I was wondering how it tastes.

Comments (9)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

I'd never heard of it so had to Google it and the link is below.

Bred by one of the largest tomato seed companies in the Netherlands.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Tarzan F1 hybrid

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

The variety does not appear in any of the usual databases (including Ventmarin). Other Prudac varieties are cited on their website as 2013 or 2014 releases, while Tarzan has no date, so I assume it was released in 2012 or earlier.

Since I didn't find it listed in my Google beta seed search, I assume it's not for sale in the U.S. unless perhaps to commercial growers (though Johnny's and some of the others who sell to both home and commercial growers would show up in the Google beta search, so maybe it's not available in the U.S. at all).

There's a Dutch seed-seller named Muller which has Tarzan and other Prudac tomato seeds for sale. That was the only one I saw -- though since the word for "tomato" differs from language to language, it's difficult to do a comprehensive search.

I did a Google Advanced search and there weren't any Tarzan F1 tomato seeds for sale in Britain.

[Note that there are also hybrid radishes and lettuce named Tarzan, which show up in far greater numbers than the tomato Tarzan.

And to add to the confusion, there's a tomato named Me Tarzan, which I found listed on this old page from the Long Island Seed Project (no idea if they're still going or not):

http://www.liseed.org/Solanaceae-tomato.html]

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

That site is owned by Ken Ettlinger, whom I knew well at one time, but as you say, last updated in 2010 and I guess nothing newer

But nothing on that list is stable. You buy a blend, probably F2 or whatever geneneration, then sow seeds and make your own selections, then spend several years trying to stabilize the selection of choice that you made.

Ventmarin, owned by Christian, lists only OP's,not hybrids, well maybe a couple of them, and he doesn't sell seeds.

Tania has pages for over 4,000 varieties now, but again, very few hybrids,

Tomodori in France has a huge data base but again, only OP's and no seeds are sold there but he usually directs you to a site where they might be sold. Language is in French as is Ventmarin and yes, one can use a translater but it takes forever.

I do know the place where this variety was bred and they breed tomatoes primarily for the commercial market only, last I knew.

Carolyn

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, it was recommended to me by a guy . I was not getting much info from google on it either.

This post was edited by ontheteam on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 0:43

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Thanks, it was recommended to me by a guy trying to sell me some pots that it would fit in. I was not getting much info from google on it either.

&&&&&

Just curious but where did you get your seeds from for this variety and I ask b/c it sounds as though you already have seeds, or perhaps you were planning ahead and hoped to get seeds?

Carolyn

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I do not yet have seeds..I was looking to see if it is A) worth growing and B) available.

Does not look like I can get the seeds or get an idea if they are any good...and that means I am not buying his pots either. It's a cute concept pot but it only works according to him with the Tarzan Tomato.

• Poinsettia1409
    10 years ago

Tarzan Tomato was a concept Tomato that was brought to the US. Breeding of this designer tomato was targeted in Small Pots but rather being a Cherry Tomato, Tarzan was selected for medium sized fruit. In addition the breeder Ard Ammerlaan from Prudac is continuing the concept of Fruits on the top of compact plants (check out James and Donna as well), and is making great progress! and yes this concept was brought into the US to be a part of a unique pot... 3 pots molded into one window box. (Nice mix of Tomato and Herbs) After the concept pot was envisioned, my son, a recent Aerospace Engineering Graduate, designed the final details of the pot on Solidworks programs and later used this as a resume booster and is now working at SpaceX . The pot is currently manufactured by Belden plastics. I still believe this is a great Tomato and a great presentation in a new unique pot! Enjoy exploring the stories in Horticulture !

• ontheteam
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is quite the introduction to GW. I would like to email you so questions...but you do not link one....

• Poinsettia1409
    10 years ago

I am new to GW but not new to the industry of Horticulture. I think you are now able to send me an email of questions.